YMCA - It has been a great place to work at and there are plenty of opportunities to try new things and make suggestions. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

"It has been a great place to work at and there are plenty of opportunities to try new things and make suggestions."

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Hatboro, PA
Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Hatboro, PA

Pros

The staff and members are really friendly and when I go to work I feel like I am going to a second home. I am hardly ever treated disrespectfully by members and when I am I know I have the support of my managers and fellow staff members. I love to go to work because I feel like I am actively involved in our community and I love to have the opportunity to help others get healthier and find supportive relationships. I also love working at the Y because I never really get the feeling its a job, I love to come and work out on my off hours, and its just a great atmosphere to be a part of.

Cons

The only downside I have found at working at the Ymca is that it is difficult to find a schedule that is constantly compatible with my school demands and while the pay is good, there are also better paying jobs out there for college students.

Advice to Management

I think that the leadership at the Ymca would benefit from talking more one on one with staff members from the different branches because it has been my experience that there are staff members that have found ways to combat some of the challenges faced by the Executive directors and other directors that have been put into effect at their ymca but hasn't yet been picked up by any other branch because of the lack of communication.

Other Employee Reviews for YMCA

1. "Better than being unemployed and management is good at working with college students."

Former Employee - Group Leader in Saint Peters, MO
    Former Employee - Group Leader in Saint Peters, MO

Pros

The employees are friendly and generally helpful. I enjoy having a free membership which would otherwise be hundreds of dollars each year. The best aspect of the YMCA is working well with college schedules and 2nd jobs. I've never had trouble getting the time off I need. Paid training and free Y-shirts.

Cons

Being a non-profit, the budget of the YMCA makes for some sad pay. The communication throughout the company needs work. The managers are doing the jobs of 3 people each.

Advice to Management

This YMCA has improved a lot since I started a year ago, but it still is lagging behind the other 2 locations I worked at in the past. I know that budgeting is an issue for this non-profit, but I notice all of the leadership in my department are doing the jobs of 3 people each. This kills communication.

2. "Challenging but great experience. Will look back and be proud of the motivation and growth of the students."

Current Employee - Y-Tutor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Y-Tutor in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

If you are interested in teaching, being a Y-tutor is a great job to have.

Cons

Can be challenging since students don't like to do work and rather play.

Advice to Management

Be patient, firm when needed and have fun with the students.