YMCA - Lead Lifeguard | Glassdoor

"Lead Lifeguard"

Current Employee - Lead Lifeguard in Columbia, SC
Current Employee - Lead Lifeguard in Columbia, SC

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Members, they are so friendly and nice, easy to network with. Co-workers, the part time workers are awesome to work with.

Cons

Management sucks, they are lazy and only care about themselves. The directors only care about their own success and will do anything to make themselves look better or make others look worse. The pay also kind of sucks.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your staff. Be leaders and set an example. Appreciate your workers because without them you guys would be lost and shut down, they do so much for you guys and the Y.

Other Employee Reviews for YMCA

1. "Supportive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Super friendly people who are empowered by a solid mission. From a high schooler to a seasoned employee, the YMCA is a very solid company.

Cons

The nature of the business limits it to low profits so salaries are not the best, but the success they have had allows them to provide a lot of other things.

Advice to Management

Make a program to train the young kids that come through. Possibly a mentor program that they can get involved in.

2. "It has been a great place to work at and there are plenty of opportunities to try new things and make suggestions."

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Hatboro, PA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Hatboro, PA

Pros

The staff and members are really friendly and when I go to work I feel like I am going to a second home. I am hardly ever treated disrespectfully by members and when I am I know I have the support of my managers and fellow staff members. I love to go to work because I feel like I am actively involved in our community and I love to have the opportunity to help others get healthier and find supportive relationships. I also love working at the Y because I never really get the feeling its a job, I love to come and work out on my off hours, and its just a great atmosphere to be a part of.

Cons

The only downside I have found at working at the Ymca is that it is difficult to find a schedule that is constantly compatible with my school demands and while the pay is good, there are also better paying jobs out there for college students.

Advice to Management

I think that the leadership at the Ymca would benefit from talking more one on one with staff members from the different branches because it has been my experience that there are staff members that have found ways to combat some of the challenges faced by the Executive directors and other directors that have been put into effect at their ymca but hasn't yet been picked up by any other branch because of the lack of communication.