YMCA - Value-based company, sometimes not so great with the people skills. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

"Value-based company, sometimes not so great with the people skills."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The association was very upstanding as a whole, and had the "appearance" of helping employees succeed. They follow the law to a fault.

Cons

They seemed to value their employees on the whole, but in reality, if you have a bad manager/supervisor, you're stuck. They were helpful/positive/supportive towards the minority employees, the tenured (read "live the YMCA culture"), and the exempt employees, but anyone else seemed to be viewed as "lesser."

Advice to Management

If you are going to be as upstanding and fair as you claim, every one of your employees should be valued equally (or why would you keep them?). Treating some better than others breeds dissent and just plain old lack of trust in your organization.

Other Employee Reviews for YMCA

1. "I like helping people and building community but it doesn't pay well and they expect a lot."

Current Employee - Front Desk Attendant in Damariscotta, ME
    Current Employee - Front Desk Attendant in Damariscotta, ME

I have been working at YMCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can feel good about where you work and the good you do in the community.

Cons

There's never enough money to go around.

Advice to Management

Take care of your good employees. We aren't there for the pay or benefits.

2. "Enjoyable place to work."

Former Employee - Piano Instructor in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Piano Instructor in Appleton, WI

I worked at YMCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My position was as a piano instructor. I was able to pretty much set my own schedule. A lot of flexibility - just had to make sure that make-up lessons were arranged in advance. I was able to build great relationships with co-workers, parents, and--most of all--students! My supervisor was pretty scatter-brained but this made it interesting, and was a blast to work for!

Cons

Pay not so great. The per-lesson fee charged to parents/students was the same as I charged privately, however you as the teacher only see a portion of that (due to overhead & administrative costs, of course). However, to add insult to injury, you are paid per hour instead of per lesson. So if you teach 2 lessons (30 min each) back to back, the Y brings in $30. You, as the teacher, see less than 1/3 of that for that hour's work.
    Additionally, due to the position that the Y is in, you pretty much have to take any students they assign to you. This includes the returning adult student who has convinced herself that she is no good (even though you reassure her she does fine), the foreign student who has never even seen western musical notation, the 5 year old who can't sit still long enough for you to say hello, the 2nd grader who wants to learn but whose parents just think of you as an after school babysitter and could care less about her progress, and the young lady who says she practices but seems to be sight-reading every time she comes into a lesson. You DO get some who genuinely try hard and whose parents are involved and who DO make good progress, but unfortunately it isn't all of them.

Advice to Management

Management seemed pretty good at my Y. I would suggest to pay your music teachers what they're worth. I would also suggest a more thorough "interview" procedure for new students to try to weed out the ones who don't want to be there or who just don't care.