YMCA - Great work place environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

"Great work place environment"

Pros

The people here are very nice.

Cons

Better integration more IT to daily work instead of manually.

Other Employee Reviews for YMCA

1. "Fun place for a part time job- Glad mine wasn't full time!"

Former Employee - Technique Swim Coach in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technique Swim Coach in Houston, TX

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at the Y. As a technical swim coach I was only there to correct the strokes of the upper athlete’s, get paid (pretty well) and go home. I would show up my 2 lanes would be reserved, my kids would be ready on deck, equipment would be in the locker, we would do our thing and be done. I was never asked to contribute to the pool such as checking chemicals, cleaning, pulling tarps (all those really fun things) nor would it make since for me to as I was not there for open or close. PERFECT.

Cons

I didn't experience any con's while employed as a coach with the Y. I was very part time; in and out in less than 2 hours and on to the next pool. But I could see others that were stuck for entirely too long in the same chair "guarding" the pool with no relief. While other days I would come in and walk past the child care area where there were 15 terrible off the wall kids with one poor employee. It just seemed understaffed and I am sure underpaid.

Advice to Management

Rotate your lifeguards. Besure that your childcare ratio is not up to code but BETTER. The state code is terrible, I ran a summer camp for years... it doesn't work. Employee incentives – Enough said.

2. "Great people, not great pay."

Current Employee - Lifeguard
    Current Employee - Lifeguard

I have been working at YMCA part-time

Pros

The people you work with are fun, and the members you meet are fun. Free gym membership

Cons

Very high turnover and burnout rate. Lots of favoritism, and very limited room for growth.

Advice to Management

Treat you employees the way you would like to be treated