YMCA - This was a great job while in school | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

"This was a great job while in school"

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Bloomington, IN
Former Employee - Lifeguard in Bloomington, IN

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free workouts and classes and company dinners were great. There is a great team atmosphere and the people I worked with were typically great and there to actually save lives. They offered free courses to keep your certifications up to date.

Cons

From the hourly position I was in there was not much room for advancement and the pay was minimal, especially compared to the training needed to be a lifeguard.

Other Employee Reviews for YMCA

1. "This is a fun place to work for a student, or a recent graduate. Not a place for a career."

Current Employee - Program Director in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Program Director in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at YMCA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people who work at the Y, and who come to the Y are a lot of fun to be around. Because of all of the interactions work never gets dull.

Cons

Not a lot of room for upward mobility or advancement. Training opportunities are weak. Staff are underpaid and raises are not awarded on an annual basis.

Advice to Management

Praise, develop, and reward staff who are driven and are producing results. Cut staff and programs that are not pulling their weight. Focus on quality of programs, not the quantity of programs.

2. "I had a great time because of the kids."

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Crystal Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Crystal Beach, FL

I worked at YMCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The kids are the most important thing. I had a lot of freedom because it was an offsite location where the management wasn't around so it allowed us to do what we wanted without anyone breathing down our necks.

Cons

Management is super critical instead of trying to resolve problems. They also give off-site locations nothing even if they really need it. We ran out of toilet paper once. That just shouldn't happen.

Advice to Management

Get it together and give some time to off-site locations as well as the normal facilities.