YMCA - Fun place to work | Glassdoor

"Fun place to work"

Pros

I love working here and made life long friendship with co workers. There was room to grow and hard work appreciated

Cons

Low pay. There were a lot of slackers who did not do their share of work.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to who works for you and how hard they work. Keep it fun :)

Other Employee Reviews for YMCA

1. "Great place does a lot for the community with what they're given to work with."

Former Employee - Swimming Instructor
    Former Employee - Swimming Instructor

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to teach and encourage people how to make positive differences in their lives. Very flexible hours and the opportunity to get on-the-job certification and training. Opportunity to be active on the job. Great for students in high school or college. Great opportunity to learn teamwork and work dynamics.

Cons

Depending on your area of interest, income for most workers isn't the highest, but there are opportunities if you're willing to learn and advance. It's a great job for students, very flexible.

2. "Great community organization but needs work on fitness programming"

Current Employee - Personal Trainer
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Y is like a family to its members. Instead of being focused on sales, there is a genuine drive toward positively impacting the community that we serve. My immediate supervisor is really wonderful to work with and gives me a lot of freedom to be creative with programming.

Cons

In general, there are no inservices or vehicles of communication between personal trainers. There's no system of mentorship in place in order to nurture trainers and create a higher standard of care. Salaries are very low, with no benefits, and leadership seems to not really care if our instruction is excellent or mediocre or even potentially harmful. I draw this conclusion because I've never once been observed training. We need standards. And we need the people who make programming decisions and fitness policy decisions to have better training in fitness, or bring those of us who do to the table to have a voice in making policy.

Advice to Management

At our branches here, it feels like full-time staff are valued more than part-time staff. For personal trainers who come in and out to work with clients but aren't standing in the building talking to colleagues, it can be a lonely job. Create a culture of excellence and communication that encourages us to aim high. I want to know that you care that I'm good. I'm self motivated but it's disheartening to feel like it doesn't matter to the YMCA if I'm excellent or incompetent.