Yahoo - Great work environoment, chaotic management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

"Great work environoment, chaotic management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Lots of smart people, working at scale is challenging and fun. Strong emphasis on work/life balance means work does not take over your life. Clear performance reviews and regular compensation increases make me want to stay.

The perks aren't as good as google, but they are better than most. Free coffee and the SF shuttle are huge.

Cons

Unstable, annoying politics and some senior people who really seem clueless. Projects that are dead out of the gate are left running until they flameout, but small innovative ideas are not given support. "Hack" culture is promoted, but not implemented.

Advice to Management

Tear down the walls between little fiefdoms, pull the plug on failing projects sooner. Take more small risks and fewer big ones.

Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo

1. "Yahoo! almost worth Yahooing"

Current Employee - Professional Services Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Professional Services Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Yahoo! facilitates a fun work environment, though you don't lose site of the fact that you're working in corporate America. The pay is good, benefits great, and stock options are available. Free bagels in the morning, free gym or gym reimbursement, free vending machines, and ping pong tables in the cafeteria. Beer is acceptable on Fridays.

Yahoo!'s are smart, diverse, and surprisingly social. You'll meet many people who you'll want to stay in contact if you were to ever leave Yahoo!

Cons

Unless you're "A" level talent, forget about making it to the top. You're just another cog in the bloated Yahoo! wheel.

Advice to Management

Sell, Sell, Sell.

2. "Yahoo! Good place to work, but not great"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Compensation is very fair and competitive. The culture is great, the people are smart, talented and hard-working. I've had some extremely interesting and challenging projects and a great learning experience. I like working for a company with a brand that I respect and am proud of. There's a lot of great benefits -- like the free espresso bars and excellent events (but rarely time to enjoy them).

I had the best boss here, ever. It all depends on who you're working for and how well they manage your small group. Some of us get lucky, some of us get disgruntled.

Cons

There isn't enough communication throughout the organization. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Reorgs are not a way to manage - i've been through 3 in 1 1/2 years and i think that has been detrimental.

Leadership should be much much stronger and we should feel re-energized right about now. I think that there need to be fewer chefs in the kitchen, and we need to know what we're working towards. We have some fantastic products and some excellent ideas, so we need to see the execution and put a lot of energy towards those.

Advice to Management

Step up!