Yahoo - Do you Yahoo!? | Glassdoor

"Do you Yahoo!?"

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

- "Yahoo!" brand on your resume: Contrary to what many so called financial analysts of bankrupt Lehman Brothers, Merill Lynch, Goldman Sachs etc. describe; the company still carries a great reputation among general public.
- So many really smart people: Some of the people are really top notch. A look at the developer network would give you a glimpse of the talent at Yahoo!
- Fun culture: People work hard and party harder
- Free latte/mocha and other facilities: Great facilities. Although, no 'free food' but good pay. Free lattes alone can save you $1200 every year. :-P
Overall, a great environment to work

Cons

You have to develop thick skin as media has been lashing out at the company for a long time.
Matrix org structure makes it difficult to figure out responsible groups. Success has many fathers and failures have none. Too many managers and incompetent sales force.

Advice to Management

Get out of the shadow of Google. Yahoo! is still a great company with many great people. Improve decision making. Get rid of dead wood.

Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo

"A lot of potential, but mismanagement contributes to its failure to live up to it."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

The people at Yahoo! are very good at what they do. Every day, you encounter people who are very good at their jobs and are very helpful with specific problems. Perks at Yahoo! are also much better than at a standard company, even one in the Silicon Valley. The company gym with trainers, locker room and even the subsidized food at the cafeteria are cheaper and much better than what you will find at most other companies.

Cons

The excessive layers of management are very tough to work through at times. It often seems like there are about 50 different people willing to tell you "No" on a project, but no one willing to take a stance and say "Yes" or even "Let's give this a shot" on anything. For the most part, I came away from a lot of discussions with the general feeling of apathy, as in the people I meet with exude the general attitude of "I'm just here to collect a paycheck." Some of this is normal for a larger company, but I don't feel like there's anyone really pushing the envelope either.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the management layers. There are a whole society of people inside of Yahoo! that live for the politics and maintaining their place in the hierarchy as opposed to doing something that will ultimately benefit the company.

"It's OK"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Yahoo provides a lot of challenging work. There is variety in the tasks we do and projects we work on. The people I work with are, for the most part, very professional and reliable. Management in my area is responsive and very supportive when it comes to helping us navigate the wider organization. The campus has a lot to offer and is a pleasant place to be. Our management is very progressive about using the latest tools, gives us training regularly, and provides us with support services that many companies no longer offer.

Cons

At Yahoo, we work very hard. There are few lulls in the action. It is hard to get time off. Most people are overloaded, and in this economy, we are unfortunately not hiring. There is a constant stream of action items coming in every day of the week. While this can be good, as it is not boring, the stress level is high. In addition, recently some of the "perks" were taken away, things that made working at Yahoo fun like snacks and drinks. Plus, they ended 401K matching and suspended raises. Since I was already earning less at Yahoo than I was at my previous job, this doesn't make me terribly happy.

Advice to Management

Bring back the perks. Be more flexible about giving time off. Reward employees, even in this economy, so we'll stick around instead of burn out and move on when the economy recovers.