Yahoo - fun-filled, stimulating | Glassdoor

"fun-filled, stimulating"

Former Employee - Technical Yahoo in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Technical Yahoo in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Latest cutting edge projects, web scale problems

Cons

lack of top-level guidance/vision. Top level leadership is unsure about the direction to steer Yahoo, and that becomes a big drag on employee and hence productivity.

Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo

"Don't do contract work for Yahoo."

Former Contractor - Service Reliability Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Contractor - Service Reliability Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Yahoo treats regular employees well, they are trying to implement new management techniques like "Tribal Leadership" and "KanBan." The free food is a nice perk - but really helps the company since there are no nearby restaurants. To a contractor, It felt like regular employees were satisfied overall with their jobs.

Cons

My immediate managers were terrible. Hands off is OK, but they gave no feedback or misleading information. In retrospect, I felt I was being set-up to fail. For contractors, tribal leadership means you get voted off the island before you even have a chance to see where the island is.

Advice to Management

Check on how your middle managers handle contractors. If a middle manager recommends terminating contracts after five weeks in the middle of training, something is seriously broken somewhere. Either your hiring process is broken, or your expectations are unrealistic. Try to figure out what's broken first. My impression is Ready, Fire, Aim is what is going on.

I came into with Yahoo with a positive attitude, ready and able to make a contribution. I feel betrayed and disillusioned. Getting let go the same day two new people are brought in, is just wrong. Perhaps terror tactics work at first for dictatorships, but usually end badly for the dictators and the countries they lead.

2. "A mentoring company"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Yahoo! provides great means for great results.
    Highly skilled environment that accelerates your career development and personal growth.

Cons

Yahoo! actually decided to kill his technology sanctuary and let go brilliant motivated engineering teams.

Advice to Management

Be hand dirty and stay personnaly connected to the ground.