Yahoo - Management was bad in 2008, curious to see how it performs now | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

"Management was bad in 2008, curious to see how it performs now"

Former Employee - Vice President in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Vice President in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

One of the centers of the internet world Was THE center in 1998.
Lots of groups to work in, pretty good freedom to move around
Good growth opportunity in Engineering

Cons

Jerry and Sue were the wrong people to lead the company. That's fixed now, and friends there seem much more optimistic.
Decision making was awful. Generally unclear who made the decision, and thus 4 people tried to make it and nobody followed anything.
Matrix organization gave too much power to Product Mgmt. Engineering had no budget, but had to "work with" (read beg) product for any headcount needed. Hard to get people staffed on maintenance and code cleanup/repair (technical debt) projects.

Advice to Management

Be better than the old management. Make quick decisions and make them stick. Balance the responsibility between Eng and PM.

Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo

"Technology nose-dive"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

Pros

Nice facilities, benefits, and salary is competitive. There are some interesting problems to solve, and Yahoo! gets to solve them at a scale you don't see at many companies.

Cons

No autonomy, no foresight, no innovation. Why create something innovative? Let's just do what the competition does. Why create something innovative? It sounds risky.

Advice to Management

Management, listen to your smart engineers. Brilliant ideas come from them, not you, and certainly not the rumor mill or the joneses. Look up the term 'knowledge inversion'. And senior management--learn to deal with the fact that software projects fail, and fail often. Don't act so surprised when reality comes and breaks your unrealistic expectations.

"Fun place to work that lost its buzz"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Frankly, I took a lot of pride at the opportunity to work on technology that got used by so many people. I learned an awful lot about what it takes to keep a web site reliable. At its best, it encouraged the creativity of its engineers and designers. They were very concerned about the feedback they got from customers; I felt I really knew what the public thought of our technology and what we needed to do to improve it. The competence level of engineers and designers was high. A couple years back, it felt as if what we did was really going to change the world.

Yahoo! had a constant flow of fun events and interesting presentations by knowledgible speakers. They treated us well. The facilities - with the fitness centers and cafeterias - were great. I got the opportunity to travel overseas a couple times, which broadened my view of the world.

Cons

Some problems are well known: Yahoo! lacked a clear vision from upon high. There were intergroup rivalries; your world may have been reproduced by someone at some other location, and they would try to undercut you in favor of their own group. Planning was weak; many deadlines were missed, largely because people had not properly calculated the resources that were needed. The last year I was there, my group realized they had not planned adequately in the past, and overcompensated by insisting on a rather bureaucratic process which killed off much of our group's innovation.

I don't think this was a widespread problem in Yahoo!, but in my specific situation I dealt with a couple managers who came off as particularly manipulative. I didn't form friendships of the sort I had at other employers; there was a bit of a revolving door.

Advice to Management

it's a hard to know what to do with it. Handing search and search advertizing to Microsoft may have been a huge mistake, but time will tell.