Yahoo - A company on the up and up | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

"A company on the up and up"

Former Intern - Technical Intern I in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Intern - Technical Intern I in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic Intern Perks: In addition to the great campus perks (free food, transportation, 24-hour gym, etc.), there were some great intern only events, both for fun (trip to Giants game, Santa Cruz), and for getting a better sense of Yahoo (tech talks where engineers talk about their work, and distinguished speaker series where high level executives, even marissa, come and talk to us)
- optimistic workforce: I could see that some people really believes in Marissa's vision and seem excited about their work.
- great ceo: Speaking of Marissa, she's great, really down to earth, and I can see her taking Yahoo far.
- Get to work on a pretty substantial project and present it to other Yahoo employees at the end of the summer.
- Yahoo has been in an upswing lately, and I believe that it's only going to get better.

Cons

- older workforce: There was a bit of a culture gap as everyone in my team seemed to be in their late thirties.
- too many meetings/delayed communication: having come from an internship where I could ask for help simply by walking to someone (it was a startup and so everyone was in the same room), I was taken aback by how many meetings there were. It seemed like my manager insisted on scheduling meetings when it could have been a quick sync up by the cubes. Note that Marissa has acknowledged this and wants to fix it. If something required help from another team, you could wait for a while for a response to your issue.

Advice to Management

Give Interns housing instead of making them find it themselves.

Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo

1. "Post"

Former Intern - Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good vibe, still a young company. The food is pretty good.

Cons

General feeling of dread. A subconscious acknowledgement that things are not going well.

Advice to Management

Bring in new leadership

2. "Enjoyed the wild ride!"

Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture, lots of fun company events. Great benefits and learning and development classes.

Cons

Finance group had a lot of red tape and very political. Everyone always escalated and escalated without really wanting to solve the issue at hand. The organization was very top heavy so made it difficult to be nimble to get things done as you always required approvals upon approvals.