Yahoo - Exciting time to be at Yahoo | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

"Exciting time to be at Yahoo"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time

Pros

I joined before Marissa took charge so I had the privilege of seeing the change from old Yahoo to new Yahoo.

Perks of old Yahoo: Free medical and dental coverage, casual attire, smart people (but jaded due to poor leadership), buzzing office environment, very competitive pay.

Additional perks after new Yahoo w/Marissa: Free food, free smart phones, strong leadership, smart people (now enthused about the great trajectory and changes that have been thoughtfully and efficiently executed), the leadership sets challenging goals, they are not just sales people they work very hard to fix issues that were previously ignored. It of course takes time, but changes are absolutely happening. It's a great time to be at Yahoo.

Cons

We do not market. There is a mentality about not bragging and I hate that people love to hate on yahoo because sometimes people love to see an old successful corporate giant fail and this is what happened.

There is practically no PR team. Before I joined Yahoo, I felt the same way as everyone else...it was an old giant trying to stay alive and losing to Google and FB. After joining and after Marissa's complete overhaul of management, I learned we are top rank in a number of categories: Yahoo Sports is #1, Yahoo Finance is #1, Yahoo Mail is #2, Yahoo is #1 in traffic, Yahoo Weather App won "Apple's Design Award" beating out all other apps...these are just a few of the 2013 rankings.

5 years ago, I'd want to work at Google, but you want to be somewhere that's gaining momentum and that's Yahoo. We are an underdog, but we stay hungry and we have a strong leadership now. There is so much to be excited for.

Advice to Management

We have a lot to be proud of. Market more and educate people. Case and point - that negative work from home news that went viral - did you know that only affected a handful of employees who were taking advantage of this by not logging in when they did "WFH". Externally it became big news, internally it was a simple and necessary call out to a small group of slackers. Work life balance is key here and WFH is never an issue for reliable and trustworthy teammates, as is the case with any company.

Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo

"Good company...will do better now"

Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Yahoo is the oldest internet company, but one that is learning new tricks now! The recent management change should really help. Employee productivity is not that great but not bad either.

Cons

Downsides are that the Yahoo brand is right now not as cool as Google, Facebook etc. but the newt few years could change all of that.

Advice to Management

Continue in the current direction and things could look a lot better given a decent period of time.

2. "Great place for working and growing"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

First, Yahoo has a great environment and I had really friendly colleagues during my internship, and I learned a lot working and talking with them. The company's culture is quite diverse, and I really enjoyed it. Yahoo also values its employees' health and benefits. A large portion of the food offered in Yahoo are quite healthy, which I believe is important for people working in the IT industry. Also I had a nice work-life balance, that I had the chance to hit the gym and have fun at night at most time. Overall it's a nice place.

Cons

Some internal tools in Yahoo are not really handy. I would suggest them use some really great tools in the open source community.