Yahoo - Yahoo has left its best days behind | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

"Yahoo has left its best days behind"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- New product launches are bootstrapped with millions of users, which is a rare luxury in this space.
- The company still has some good talent remaining, although I am not sure why they are still around unless they are the recipients of RSUs that the CEO has given out to a lucky few.
- Free food. Free shuttles. Company sponsored Mac Air and iPhone with unlimited minutes and data plan.

Cons

- The company, its products and technology are well past their prime. Their loyal users are aging and the brand is no longer relevant. Company's strategy to get back to relevance is still unclear and performance to date remains spotty.
- Marissa makes every single major product decision in the company - feature, functionality, pixel level design decisions, you name it. Nothing moves without her approval, which can take a while coming while teams burn rubber iterating through multiple options as they try to second guess her constantly shifting preferences.
- The internal work environment is stressful and fast moving in pockets while other teams still churn out buggy code once a quarter. It just depends on where you happen to work and how important your team is to Marissa Mayer
- Career advancement is limited as leadership is being brought (or rather bought) from Google and acquisitions

Advice to Management

Back off a bit and let the teams find their voice and innovate. Stop spreading investment in areas where competition is extremely strong (e.g. search, social, communications, ad platforms, etc) and double down on content/media which has always been Yahoo's strength.

Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo

"Good but challenging. Lots to do."

I have been working at Yahoo (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work environment. Good opportunities.

Cons

Too goal oriented and performance oriented.

"Exciting time to be at Yahoo"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time

Pros

I joined before Marissa took charge so I had the privilege of seeing the change from old Yahoo to new Yahoo.

Perks of old Yahoo: Free medical and dental coverage, casual attire, smart people (but jaded due to poor leadership), buzzing office environment, very competitive pay.

Additional perks after new Yahoo w/Marissa: Free food, free smart phones, strong leadership, smart people (now enthused about the great trajectory and changes that have been thoughtfully and efficiently executed), the leadership sets challenging goals, they are not just sales people they work very hard to fix issues that were previously ignored. It of course takes time, but changes are absolutely happening. It's a great time to be at Yahoo.

Cons

We do not market. There is a mentality about not bragging and I hate that people love to hate on yahoo because sometimes people love to see an old successful corporate giant fail and this is what happened.

There is practically no PR team. Before I joined Yahoo, I felt the same way as everyone else...it was an old giant trying to stay alive and losing to Google and FB. After joining and after Marissa's complete overhaul of management, I learned we are top rank in a number of categories: Yahoo Sports is #1, Yahoo Finance is #1, Yahoo Mail is #2, Yahoo is #1 in traffic, Yahoo Weather App won "Apple's Design Award" beating out all other apps...these are just a few of the 2013 rankings.

5 years ago, I'd want to work at Google, but you want to be somewhere that's gaining momentum and that's Yahoo. We are an underdog, but we stay hungry and we have a strong leadership now. There is so much to be excited for.

Advice to Management

We have a lot to be proud of. Market more and educate people. Case and point - that negative work from home news that went viral - did you know that only affected a handful of employees who were taking advantage of this by not logging in when they did "WFH". Externally it became big news, internally it was a simple and necessary call out to a small group of slackers. Work life balance is key here and WFH is never an issue for reliable and trustworthy teammates, as is the case with any company.