Yahoo - Fun while it lasted | Glassdoor

"Fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Fellow colleagues are generally good people, and you feel comfortable working there from day to day. You feel that you can genuinely be friends with your colleagues, and most of them are humbly brilliant. Management is great about allowing work / life flexibility when you need it. Health insurance plan has been one of the best I've seen.

Cons

Too much overhead, too many meetings, too many stars have to align to get things done. At some point, you wonder whether spending 60% of your life in meetings and conference calls is the best use of one's precious time. Lack of organization around HR processes (from hiring to leaving the company)

Advice to Management

Focus less on reorgs, focus more on productivity

Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo

1. "Life at Yahoo is what you make of it."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA

Pros

Not like the glory daze but still a good place to work. Friendly people and fast paced atmosphere. The pace is not for everybody but if you can keep up then there is room for advancement.

Cons

As with any big corporation there are some politics. It can be frustrating when people make your ideas their own and you don’t get credit. But if you become more savvy about it then it’s easier to get along.

Advice to Management

Get down in the trenches once in a while and listen to those who keep the wheels turning. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty once in a while.

"Where do I begin?"

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

By far the best reason to work at Yahoo! is the people -- I've met some of the smartest, coolest people I've ever worked with here. The compensation and benefits are great, which definitely helps make up for some of the stress. There is a good work/life balance and a lot of flexibility -- as long as you get your work done, it doesn't matter if you work from home, work flex hours, etc. It's also a relaxed atmosphere (flip flops and shorts aren't out of the norm as long as you're not in sales), and there are some nice perks like free snacks and premium coffee.

Cons

Where do I begin? It's been a complete and utter roller coaster here lately. Morale is between not good and awful depending on the day. Senior management seems out of touch. Headcount and support are severely lacking (I can't emphasize this enough). The wrong people get promoted, and the right people don't get retained. This place is hemorrhaging employees (and their jobs don't get filled, someone else just has to absorb their responsibilities). Barely a month goes by without a reorg.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting the wrong people, start communicating, get your heads out of the sand. I think Jerry is a good guy at heart, but I don't know that he's the right guy for the job.