Yankee Candle - Great company, but try and work in a larger store | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle

"Great company, but try and work in a larger store"

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager

I have been working at Yankee Candle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment on the weekends or during the holiday season. Discounts on almost all product. Many guests are regulars and will stop in to chat. Company strives to make meeting our sales goals interesting.

Cons

Extremely slow on weekdays in the summer. We can go 3 hours without a single person walking in. Sometimes an employee will be by herself for more than 6 hours. With only 5 employees, there's a lot of cattiness. (It's mainly a personality issue with my coworkers though. Other stores don't have the same problem.) Two girls have been in the same position for 4 years. It's difficult to move up because everyone likes their job and stays! Our sales goals are individually tracked, but sometimes one person will be stuck on the register and will "steal" sales in order to make sure she meets her goals for the week.

Advice to Management

When there are problems in the store (stealing sales, poor treatment of guests, etc.) and it's brought to your attention, do something about it. Three team members have spoken to our store mgr in the last 6 months about HR/ethics violations by another team member, but she hasn't even been spoken to, let alone written up.

Other Employee Reviews for Yankee Candle

1. "Ok @ 1st!"

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits,discount, and awareness of co to public.

Cons

The dm is VERY hard to get along w/. He is very deceptive & will fire you if you aren't blowing budgets out of the water. The rm is very nasty to people & acts like she is better than you & you're just a pion. The co will not do any advertising outside of emails & leaves it up to store staff to bring guests into the store.Secret shops are a joke if you don't trust us don't hire us. The co will pay a someone who doesn't even work for them to come in & report how I am doing my job. But stores can't have enough payroll to have more than 1 manager & associates there @ a time. Corp doesn't care about what's going on in stores or how we are treated.

Advice to Management

Seems to have too many chiefs & not enough indians!

2. "Good benefits, maybe not best place to work"

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and good discount

Cons

Poor upper management. They dont really try to promote from within the company. They dont try to better the company for you. Theres secret shops that are completely unfair and not good job security if you happen to fail a shop.

Advice to Management

Could be hit or miss.