Yankee Candle - Decent company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle

"Decent company to work for"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a pretty good discount (50% on all candles and 25% on other fragrancing items like reed defusers, car freshners, etc.) The customers are generally pleasant (at least more so than what some other retail stores have to deal with) and the work isn't difficult.

Cons

The salary starts out low and raises are few and far between. Also, the shifts can go by really slow when business is slow, which is about 8 months out of the year (excluding the holiday season which can get really busy).

Advice to Management

Don't take wax so seriously.

Other Employee Reviews for Yankee Candle

"1st Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best reason to work for the company is because you don`t have to stay over night to do floor moves and best part get paid every week.

Cons

Company is super fake. Don't care about their employees. Very very cheap with payroll. They want so much work done with no staff and no $$$. I would think twice about working for this company if your thinking of applying.

Advice to Management

I think the DM should work more elbow to elbow with their management staff instead of bossing around not even knowing how to run a store on their own. DM take there titles beyond their heads. M.Morris D37

"Incompetent management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Deerfield, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Deerfield, MA

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is led by a capable CEO. He is backed by a sensible board of directors. The products are good

Cons

My review is for corporate. Execs are unethical. They lie to CEO and to own teams. They dump work on good workers while excusing others. This results in good workers and professionals leaving within months. Recently VP of insights, several good workers and brand director left due to excessive pressure and no support. Other good workers are biding time. Empire building is at every level. Exec team doesn't let managers connect with CEO. Execs back bite against CEO. CEO continues to rely on execs that are actively trying to sabotage him. Poor results are blamed on lack of IT systems and skilled people.

People interested in politics, avoiding work and staying in the area should join. People seeking good work and professional growth should be cautious. No good worker has ever lasted beyond 12 months. Good workers are let go of because they get blamed for poor performance. I do what is needed to stay because I want to stay in the area and keep my job in a tough economy.

Advice to Management

None