Yankee Candle - Never work here | Glassdoor

"Never work here"

Former Employee - Store
Former Employee - Store

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits package and employee discount are both pretty good

Cons

I really don't understand why anyone stays working at this company. I worked there for a year and wish I would have left sooner. I left to manage a larger retail store and am so much happier. I dreaded coming to work every day for Yankee. Managers are just labor savors, you really have too small of a staff to "manage" much. The company is very mis-focused. The 2 large metrics they rate you on is ADS(average dollar per sale) and secret shops. Both show that they care very little about your actual interaction with the guests and developing a rapore with them. using these metrics they train to not care about the guest unless they spend over $30 each visit. I believe you should treat every guest the same when spending $1 or $1000. the secret shop only makes the employees live in fear each day that they will forget one of the many add-ons that don't even relate to what the customer may be purchasing. I mean really how disconnected to your customer can you be to always try to add on a wick trimmer to someone who only wants to fragrance their car?

Other Employee Reviews for Yankee Candle

1. "Fun job :)"

Pros

Helping a customer who walks into the store find a candle that suites their needs is very fun and rewarding! The employee discount is awesome too! Weekly paydays are nice too. Friendly environment and employees.

Cons

Few hours per week (it's retail though, that's kind of got to be expected). You kind of have to harass customers, otherwise you're endanger of failing a secret shop.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees! The feedback surveys are a great way to stay connected to your employees and to the stores!

2. "eye opeing"

Former Employee - Customer Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

my first job but it taught me a lot about the importance of communication and teamwork

Cons

not any really I liked my job, only thing was on breaks there was no space to sit in the store but seeing as it was in bluewater, on breaks we went for food and so sat there.