Yard House - Structured, strict. | Glassdoor

"Structured, strict."

Former Employee - Server in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Server in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Yard House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beer knowledge! Money is great, met great people. Lots of advancement opportunities and travel training allows you to go to different places and pays pretty great.

Cons

Servers tip out 35% of what they make!! You walk on ice trying to not make mistakes, write ups for almost anything. Training is long, but rewarding when you finish.

Advice to Management

Be consistent! Sometimes a shift is just a shift, not everything has to be an issue. Have faith in employees. Give positive feedback as often as negative feedback. I shouldnt feel like I always have to find fault in myself.

Other Employee Reviews for Yard House

"Mixed emotions, good food and good beer. Not the greatest experience"

Former Employee - Front Desk in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Lakewood, CO

I worked at Yard House full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Free employee meal
    -very structured
    -lots of training
    -better than min wage
    - tips for taking to-go orders
    - very simple type of tasks
    - not open in the very early morning

Cons

The management that hired me said they were only hiring for hostess and that they would be hiring more servers in the next few months. I was offered a hostess job, and was told that in the summer, when they opened the patio they would need servers. Also, I was told that they like to hire from within and that I could move up quickly to a server position. Since I had explained to them that I had 10+ years serving I took the hostess position knowing that when they needed servers, I had the skill to take on the open position. One month later they hired a new server. The server they hired had only be a server for a few months at a mom and pop type restaurant. I saw that this server got hired on, so I asked the management if I could move up. They kept saying they would find a time to sit down and talk with me. Then they hired 5 or 6 more servers. So I asked if we could talk about me moving up. In the end I did get to talk to one of the managers that told me he didn't think I had the experience to be a server and that I should tell him about some of the serving experience I had. I told him that I had work a one restaurant for 8 years and another one for 2 years and that through out my time at both of those restaurant I had done some banquet and very fine dining service. He told me that I didn't have enough experience in serving and that I should go to another restaurant for a few years to get some experience and that I should try and come back after that. I was just sick of the run around, that so I gave my two weeks notice. I wish that I wouldn't have been treated like I wasn't good enough to work there. If they didn't like me or the way I worked they should have just told me or fired me, but they kept me to work 40 hours a week as a hostess and my time and effort ment very little to them. DO NOT take a host/ front desk position at this restaurant, they lie and say you will move up, but it rarely happens.

Advice to Management

I wish the management would have been less fake.

2. "The best company to work for, the culture and atmosphere are amazing."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Yard House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunches, great people, management is great. CEO cares about the employees and has an open door policy.

Cons

Recently acquired by Darden, so there's a lot of lay offs.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!