Year Up - An Organization that truly Believes in their Mission | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"An Organization that truly Believes in their Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Year Up full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Year Up is like no other organization. My colleagues are all very genuine and truly care about the work we do, as well the students we serve. The work isn't easy and everyone comes in day in and day out ready and willing to go the extra mile. Year Up is organization that also cares about you as an individual. The benefits package is amazing and taking care of yourself is encouraged here. Your colleagues are your teammates and everyone respects one another. It is definitely a pleasure working here. Even though we are a new site, our team is growing and the word is getting out about Year Up Los Angeles.

Cons

With all the positives stated, it is a little challenging to talk about the cons, as there aren't many. I will say that the office space is a little challenging. If you are used to having your own office or office space, get over it. It would be nice to have that intimate space, however, to focus on your work, have confidential meetings and conversations with students, etc. We are a new site so we are still learning and growing together but this also presents natural challenges that we will soon overcome.

Advice to Management

None.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Please Reconsider Year Up Employment Before Joining"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Year Up full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Passionate staff members who care about the mission of the Year Up establishment. Such wonderful, charismatic, and potential filled students who work hard to earn their internships and opportunities.

Cons

The worst management I have ever encountered in my life. Management does not respect its employees. Management tries to uphold the establishment's professional values but do not care about the committment and diligence of their workers, only the upward mobility they are able to provide. Management is the saddest excuse for a group of adults trying to keep it together.

Advice to Management

Complete change of management is imperative. There will be no progress at Year Up if upper Management is not removed. Please exercise the professional transparency and politeness that you ask of others. The climate of the current management has changed the environement and respect that everyone has for one another due to the dispicable behavior that takes places on their end. Year Up has an enormous amount of potential, and if there was a sensible upper management then it would have been the DMV's pride in closing the opportunity divide.

2. "A Diamond in the Ruff"

Former Contractor - Admissions Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Admissions Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Year Up as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

YU gives hope to the urban youth in one day working for a huge company like Google, Twitter, Facebook, etc. YU supports all of their students, and its a good ratio of instructor to students. YU allows the students to have access to resources that every neighborhood may not have access to. YU hopes with pro skills in a fun and informative way, and the students get paid jut to learn. Best program I've been in.

Cons

YU needs more alum working in the program.

Advice to Management

Staff may not know all the walks of life, and there will be students that would love to be there. However some students will not always mature fast when in the program, and will need a little more attention then others. That where the alum staff members come in to play. Students would be able to relate to the alum staff member before any other staff because the alum have been through the rifts of the program regular staff, not so much.

Discover more reviews about Year Up.