Yelp - Dissapointing | Glassdoor

"Dissapointing"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was free food and it was somewhat healthy, there is also beer for happy hour at the end of the day which is an incentive- for an immature employee distracted by bright, shiny things dangled in front of them

Cons

Awful pay, spread the sales team too thin by over-hiring, too much like a call center- going about it all wrong. First you start off in a group of up to 35 people and smaller groups are created. You train as one large group by watching presentations, then when you get on the phones it is strictly volume, not quality. This is where they go about it all wrong, they should focus on developing business and building client relationships to be taken more seriously.

Advice to Management

This is where they need the most improvement. It is too easy to become a manager, it is based on numbers, not ability to manage. Account execs, and all sales teams should have territories for a long time to develop relationships and be respected as experts on Yelp Advertising. Yelp over-hires and underpays. If Yelp gave out numerous territories to each employee, and for a couple years, the businesses would not be bothered by different people calling them each month, which looks quite unprofessional. You also have to make 80 calls a day which you can fake and get around. This leads to caring more about metrics and less about numbers. SALES should be the most important, not if you aren't 100% focused and hit your metrics. Yelp has got it all wrong!

Other Employee Reviews for Yelp

"Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Nice area, beautiful office.
    -The recruiters did a good job "selling" the nice kitchens. I do admit, the kitchens stocked with a variety of food is a generous gesture.
    -Nice little outings, such as an open bar pool party. decent (for the most part) people that you work with; I have met a couple of close friends in the class that I was in.

Cons

-Unprofessional at times
    -Not very diverse. Mostly young white hipsters, was one of the few minorities
    -ridiculous, unfair metrics and territories
    -Like a a teenage soap opera at times

Advice to Management

Terrible management!! All too young and seemed to only get promoted because they had a decent few months. My manager was insensitive to everyone's growing pains and seemed to think his way was the best way in sales, when it certainly was not. It is a luck of a draw to see what manager you get, which can really make or break you. Hire some outside management.

The Recruiters are fibbers, they had me move all the way from Texas. They told me a bunch of lies (probably because they have such a high hiring quota to meet with the number or people they fire each week). They falsely assured me that although you don't have sales experience, they will teach you everything you need to know and that the training class was for SIXTY days. Also they said no one ever gets fired unless they have a bad attitude.

Bull crap! I had a rough few days and had really turned it around at the end, working very hard, in good spirits with my team and working long hours. On my last day there, I had 5 pitches and 4 appts. Unfortunately, I was never allowed to see if I could close my first deal because they were eager to fire me by that afternoon.

Develop your employees. There should never be a reason to fear that you are losing your job everyday and that you are indispensable. I've never seen a job in which so many people are fired or quit in such a short period of time, even if it is sales.

I agree with everyone about the territories; my team had bad territories while other teams who had California, NY succeeded well. It's not fair nor right and they know it! Glad I was let go and I am much happier. Plus that whole Yelp concept won't be around for more than a few more years; biz owners are starting to catch on.

"Great entry level sales role"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

- Amazing product
    - Great people. I honestly look forward to coming to work to see my colleagues.
    - Great good training.
    - Fun perks like a snack kitchen, a gym subsidy, and team offsites. (AT&T Park?!)
    - You can make a ton of money on commission if you are good at the job.
    - All promotions are 100% merit based. If you do will, you will be promoted, if you don't, you won't. Simple and fair.
    - You are not expected or encouraged to work crazy hours. Everyone works hard all day from 8-5 but this job does not involve crazy hours.
    - Casual dress.

Cons

- It's a sales job that you have to try at to be good at. This is not a job you can just show up for and succeed with. You have to put in 100% every day. Cold calling isn't easy and it isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

Don't hesitate to fire sales managers who are underperforming. Cold calling small businesses is hard enough, having a checked out manager does nothing to help your reps.