Yelp - Over-hyped work environment with under appreciated employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Yelp

"Over-hyped work environment with under appreciated employees"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kegs, table tennis, fooseball, loud music, frat house atmosphere (if that's your thing). It's a fun place to work and they do a lot of outings and things like that.

Cons

Shady sales managers that are young with little to no experience.
Lots of drinking on site.
Unclear professional goals.
Run you ragged, burn you out, hire new employees.
Call volume/metrics are more important than revenue (I can't figure that one out either, probably has more to do with poor managers).
They have an extremely high turnover rate and will hire anybody off the street because they have an acceptable attrition rate. You are replaceable. I know I sound bitter, but I took the recruiters bait, hook line and sinker. I've lived in the area for a long time and I'm always running into people that have been employed there for a short period of time before either rage quitting or getting axed for no reason. They call you into a sales meeting and have your stuff boxed up and they escort you off the property according to a friend.

Advice to Management

Hire some real middle management. Just because somebody sounds hot on the phone and can sling a mediocre product doesn't mean they can manage people.

Other Employee Reviews for Yelp

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with great people and the culture is great! A lot of parties, drinking, games and fun!

It's a great resume booster, learns the ins and outs of inside sales, learn how to be bad ass on the phone!

Cons

Very stressful environment! The turnover is really high and the pay sucks! The managers put so much stress on their team that it takes away the fun from the position. You're always worried if you're going to get canned.

"Horrible."

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool office, fully stocked kitchens, very good training, 100% of health insurance is covered. Fun culture if you are in your early 20s. They have some fun contests (giving away iPad minis etc). You'll get some great initial sales experience here.

Cons

23 and 24 year olds are constantly promoted to management positions (which puts them in charge of 8-12 other sales reps). The reason for their promotion has nothing to do with management skills, but has everything to do with how much they suck up and drink the koolaid.
    The pay is abysmal. Imagine making $30k a year in SF or NYC.
    Managers sleep with reps on their teams, there is tons of office drama, yet nobody gets punished for it.
    The territory system is a complete and utter joke. You're given the same quota in Mobile, Alabama as you would have in Beverly Hills.

Advice to Management

Hold your employees accountable for their actions. Start drug testing your management team. Ban in-office relationships. All of these things make for a very toxic environment. Promote people that will actually be good managers instead of playing favorites.