Yodle - Good Experience | Glassdoor

"Good Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
Former Employee - Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

I was there for a year and a half and learned a lot about selling and the industry. Yodle has a great reputation from the outside for developing good sales talent, as was evident in my LinkedIn getting blown up 4-5 times per week with job opportunities. The atmosphere was fun and they fostered the startup mentality even as we grew. My direct manager was one of the best I've ever worked for. In the end, even though it wasn't with Yodle, the experience helped me take the next step elsewhere.

Cons

Unless you are in Austin or NYC, there isn't a lot of upward mobility. There was a lot of customer churn, which made developing your book of business (part of how I was paid) near impossible unless you are significantly above quota every single month. I had plenty of months where I would bring in 9-10k of new business to my book and lose 12k (or something similar... bring in 7k and lose 8k, etc). Also found out that they were not very up front about information about our specific products that we passed on to our clients. Without mentioning details, after seeing things from the outside, I realized that I was lying to some of my customers simply b/c of what we were told to say in regards to certain aspects of our product.

Other Employee Reviews for Yodle

"Hardest job I'll ever have..."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

Pros

-Peapod- comes once a week
    -The people- you start to form family-like friendships on your team
    -Commission structure. There is the potential to make a lot of money. The commission structure has recently changed for the better.
    -Fun environment

Cons

-MICROMANAGEMENT
    -Inconsistent standards- the company is constantly changing every day. One day you have to make 75 calls, the next day they require you to be on the phone for 3 hours.
    -Cold calls, cold calls, cold calls
    -EXTREMELY high turnover rate
    -The company doesn't care about their clients success- they only care about getting the credit card
    -They set unrealistic expectations for both their employees and their clients
    -The product hardly every works
    -Hardly any room for growth
    -You have to sell in the form of a robot- how they want you to sell from a script.

Advice to Management

-Let people sell the way they want to sell and not how the company wants them too. If they dont hit their numbers, then let them go.
    -Create more contests to make people actually want to stay
    -Stop the micromanagement asap- if this doesn't happen, expect to lose your highest producers within the upcoming months

"Brutally micromanaged, weak product, weak management"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

Pros

Fun office atmosphere, other than the work.
    Young Energetic work force who are fun to be around
    Pretty good conceptual training for online marketing

Cons

Severe Micromanagement
    Basically a telemarketer more than a sales person
    Weak product with a very high churn rate
    Smoke and Mirrors approach to get clients to buy
    No independence on how to construct a sales call-their way or else, and they listen in on EVERYTHING to make sure you are doing it their way
    Unrealistic expectations
    Prison like enviroment
    Overtime is expected, even though you wont get paid for it, if you leave at 530, you will hear about it
    Unexperienced managers put into their roles because they could sell, not because they can manage.
    Try to sell you on a fun opportunity to make lots of money, despite about 70% of sales people not being able to reach quota
    High churn rate of both clients and employees
    Being obsessed with going public is never a good way to operate a company

Advice to Management

If you have so much confidence in the people you hire and the training you provide, then let your sales people sell! Nobody is a robot and everyone has their own style. Have more faith in your employees and realize that by pressuring for talk time/dial minimums will only promote quantity over quality from your reps...which is apparent by the churn rate of everyone involved with Yodle on everyside.