Young's Market Company - beats unemployment | Glassdoor

"beats unemployment"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Newport Beach, CA
Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

Good part time job with full time pay

Cons

Getting up extremely early / little selling knowledge given / no field support /

Advice to Management

Help route sales people in high volume territories especially building displays

Other Employee Reviews for Young's Market Company

1. "Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Young's Market Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a lot of free products

Cons

Work hours are rough, lots of physical labor

2. "Unless you're okay being a mediocre employee- look elsewhere."

Current Employee - Sales Representative/Drug Mass
    Current Employee - Sales Representative/Drug Mass

I have been working at Young's Market Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young's Market company is a great place to work because they promote internally most of the time. They have a great brand portfolio. Good benefits. Decent pay. Incentives are helpful (depending on your division). Diversity. Overtime. Fun work perks.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that we don't get the tools we need to sell. I was promised a tablet when I started and never received one- now I hear that won't be happening and we will have work phones. This simply doesn't work. Management sends emails with attachments/sell sheets we are supposed to show buyers or large excel sheets that pull numbers but the only way I can show them is on my personal phone (with a small screen) which is embarrassing and unprofessional. Printing is only an option when I am at home- and on my own dime- but most the time these items are sent during business hours while working in the field. I don't understand this logic in switching to phones. This limits the selling tools we need to effectively do our jobs, meet our goals, and ultimately advance within the company.
    Additionally, the case goal expectations set in the drug mass division is absolutely ridiculous. Many times getting the buyer to even fill the shelves in these accounts is a win but upper management doesn't understand that. Even when goals are met, getting the product to come into the store from the store's DC is impossible (due to many order caps on products that are unknown(was a much better system when it was DSD)). I understand it is a sales job and goals need to be set and met- however I hope that upper management takes some to go out in the field as a sales rep (store managers speak differently to management) and try to use only the limited tools they share with us to sell in products.

Lastly, I think it is great that Young's Market prides themselves on promoting from within- however this means that sometimes this is a persons first time in a management role. It would be great for their bosses to ask for feedback from their team as a way to sharpen their management skills. My entire team, myself included was on the brink of leaving due to unorganized/bad management. Communication is set up to where you are only supposed to speak to your DM who then passes along information to their management. This is a poor system when the DM is only looking out for themselves and your left without the tools and answers you need.

Advice to Management

Imagine going out everyday and working your hardest to only consistently meet half your goals because the expectations are unrealistic. Anyone who takes pride in their job and a job well done will never be happy only meeting half their goals. I hope that my review will be passed along and the management in the drug mass division will go on in the field and see what the true expectations should be.

Additionally, most incentives are only relevant to the grocery division- try making some more relevant to drug mass division.

Lastly, there should be a better on boarding program.