Younkers - Pleasant but dated. | Glassdoor

"Pleasant but dated."

I have been working at Younkers part-time

Pros

Nice people to work with.

Cons

The technology used is so outdated.

Advice to Management

Vacuum.

Other Employee Reviews for Younkers

"Do not work here."

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Younkers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The associate discount is pretty generous.

Cons

This job needs to pay WAY more per hour. I've had much simpler jobs with lower performance expectations that paid better than this. It's just above minimum wage and you're fired if you don't sell enough credit cards or solicit enough email addresses. Management doesn't give much training, then throws you off to work and expects you to know everything (and there is SO MUCH information that you're supposed to retain, it's impossible to do this for $8 an hour.)

The store manager tirelessly pushed all of these confrontational selling techniques that I personally see as bad customer service, things that annoy me when I myself go shopping (like demanding an email address instead of asking for one, etc). If a customer says they don't want to open a credit card because they're trying to save up for a house or car, you're supposedly not doing your job unless you counter with "BUT... you'll save an additional 10% off everything you purchase today if you open a Younkers charge!"

Okay... really?!?

The emphasis they give to credit card sales really puts me off, especially given the low rate of pay and unpaid breaks. It isn't really 'all about the customer' here as they say it is; it's all about 'making the customer spend more money than they want to'.

Advice to Management

PAY MORE. I might have stayed if it were $10 an hour.

"Enjoyable place to work"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor

Pros

enjoyable retail environment, enjoyed working as a beauty advisor and providing personalized service and earning commission. Younkers is higher end than some other retail establishments which is nice

Cons

The biggest downside of working at any department store is the hours which include evenings, weekends, and many holidays. I also dislike the way scheduling is done at most large retail store these days which is by a computer.