Youth Education in the Arts - Warning - Do Not Work Here | Glassdoor

"Warning - Do Not Work Here"

in Allentown, PA

I worked at Youth Education in the Arts for more than a year

Pros

The only pro I can remember was leaving my last day.

Cons

Not one true positive review on Glassdoor, that seems right. If you are a Drum Corps person don't let the allure of working for The Cadets cloud your vision. All of the reviews you have read are 100% true and correct, these are very bitter people because we were all treated like garbage by the CEO and most of staff,. Saying that the Board of Directors should take the CEO out of his position will never happen. Not when you fill the board with people that idolize him and feel like they are a part of the corps because they have donated money to YEA! and The Cadets. If traveling to really cool Stadiums to help buses park in the lot for 14 -16 hours a day ,sell T-shirts , loading trucks and vans at 2, 3 or 4 am in the morning and then figuring out that your Salary becomes basically 3-4 dollars an hour this is not the job for you. There was never enough help at live events and you were expected to do it all.. All of CEO'S top people are all yes men and women, mainly because they marched in the Drum Corps or Marched with the Cadets at one point or they are just Drum Corps or Band Nerds. If you are an outsider thinking you are there to do good, give it 6 months, that entire place will break your spirit and you will start looking for work sooner than later. Also your co-workers are not the most friendly either, at least when I worked there. Don't disagree with him either. He knows everything about life, relationships, fashion, music, not paying bills on time, lying to your face, hiring some very questionable people and how and why people should donate to the non profit. He knows everything about everything, oh and when he gets in a bad mood, especially when his Drum Corps is not winning every year, because he knows they should, make sure you don't talk to him, because he will not interact with you or give you the time of day. He also has this special test he gives his employee, it's all a mental game with him to see if you are strong enough to compete on his level of megalomania. There were some other comments here about illegal activities and unethical activities, I would agree with that. Just do the right thing and stay clear of the Non Profit Organization.

Advice to Management

The CEO/Director needs to grow up and stop acting like a spoiled kid, By now I would have to think you are almost 60 years old. Sooner or Later that mystique and lore of being who you think you are is going to go away.

Youth Education in the Arts2016-08-16

Other Employee Reviews

"Previous reviews are NO LONGER RELEVANT"

I have been working at Youth Education in the Arts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great mission, friendly staff to work with, slowly but smoothly recovering from CEO drama.

Cons

Working for this company unfortunately comes with the baggage of people knowing what happened in the past. You're often taking the blunt heat from everybody regarding the company's past issues.

Advice to Management

Listen....the CEO is gone. There is a new Board of Directors in place and from what I have been seeing, they have been doing a fantastic job putting the pieces of the company back together. The other reviews are no longer valid and I sincerely believe in the redemption of Youth Education in the Arts. The only advice I would give to the management is to keep forging a plan to move forward and show everybody what we can do at YEA!. (NO, I'M NOT THE CEO. I AM JUST A FULL-TIME EMPLOYEE GIVING REALISTIC FEEDBACK)

Youth Education in the Arts2018-06-27
  2. "Lots of Band"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Allentown, PA

I worked at Youth Education in the Arts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of band. Coworkers become family. Travel to various sport arenas.

Cons

Very long days. 20 hour day is not out of the question. Very high turnover. Including new CEO.

Youth Education in the Arts2019-04-07

Discover more reviews about Youth Education in the Arts.