Youth Education in the Arts - Warning - Do Not Work Here | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Youth Education in the Arts

"Warning - Do Not Work Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I worked at Youth Education in the Arts (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro I can remember was leaving my last day.

Cons

Not one true positive review on Glassdoor, that seems right.

If you are a Drum Corps person don't let the allure of working for The Cadets cloud your vision.

All of the reviews you have read are 100% true and correct, these are very bitter people because we were all treated like garbage by the CEO and most of staff,. Saying that the Board of Directors should take the CEO out of his position will never happen. Not when you fill the board with people that idolize him and feel like they are a part of the corps because they have donated money to YEA! and The Cadets.

If traveling to really cool Stadiums to help buses park in the lot for 14 -16 hours a day ,sell T-shirts , loading trucks and vans at 2, 3 or 4 am in the morning and then figuring out that your Salary becomes basically 3-4 dollars an hour this is not the job for you. There was never enough help at live events and you were expected to do it all.. All of CEO'S top people are all yes men and women, mainly because they marched in the Drum Corps or Marched with the Cadets at one point or they are just Drum Corps or Band Nerds. If you are an outsider thinking you are there to do good, give it 6 months, that entire place will break your spirit and you will start looking for work sooner than later. Also your co-workers are not the most friendly either, at least when I worked there.

Don't disagree with him either. He knows everything about life, relationships, fashion, music, not paying bills on time, lying to your face, hiring some very questionable people and how and why people should donate to the non profit.

He knows everything about everything, oh and when he gets in a bad mood, especially when his Drum Corps is not winning every year, because he knows they should, make sure you don't talk to him, because he will not interact with you or give you the time of day. He also has this special test he gives his employee, it's all a mental game with him to see if you are strong enough to compete on his level of megalomania.

There were some other comments here about illegal activities and unethical activities, I would agree with that. Just do the right thing and stay clear of the Non Profit Organization.

Advice to Management

The CEO/Director needs to grow up and stop acting like a spoiled kid, By now I would have to think you are almost 60 years old. Sooner or Later that mystique and lore of being who you think you are is going to go away.

Other Employee Reviews for Youth Education in the Arts

"Unfortunate"

Pros

As others have said; the mission is great. Many of the people who work there are attracted by the mission of supporting youth and music and performance and driven by passion. The hard work and long hours can create some strong bonds, memories and experiences that you won't find in many other places. Many employees received lots of flexibility around Christmas and New Years and if you enjoy drum corps you can see a lot of it!
    Everyone has to help everyone out so job titles don't mean much; you can learn a lot and gain a lot of experience in a short time.

Cons

The over all atmosphere is draining with a negative stifling culture that comes from the top down. It's bothersome to be earnest in your intent but associated with a reputation of moral corruptness.
    Things that have been said -
    "Don't 'Work smarter, not harder' , just work hard."
    "Majority of our staffing should be 20/20/20 - people in their 20s, making salaries in the 20s willing to work 20 hours a day."
    "If he isn't complaining for the check yet don't offer it. We'll take care of it before we need to be back there again."
    Sexual innuendo and outright assessment of my female coworkers both in the room and after they left were not uncommon. Blatant lies and discussion of their private lives were not uncommon in supposedly professional settings.
    Turn over is high and each time someone leaves they are blamed for every bad thing that happens and each job starts from scratch with no established methods for doing the job.
    Same as close working conditions created friendships sometimes it also created gossip and bickering like high school.

Advice to Management

The board is supposed to supervise the CEO. Right now they are not fully exercising their oversight. The tools are there - eager employees willing to work with passion, some with impressive experience, and a vast network of supporters - but the culture created by CEO has stifled the company. He created it from scratch but operates like it is still the 80s and for YEA! to grow it needs to be willing to pull in someone new to lead the team.

"All the stories are accurate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I worked at Youth Education in the Arts (Less than a year)

Pros

If the mission of the organization were followed, the upside could be truly life-changing for literally tens of thousands of participants of the organization's program offerings.

Cons

Having worked or volunteered for or with all the other similar 'national marching arts non-profits', I'm happy to admit that organizations such as this do face challenges such as funding, donor engagement, staffing, etc. but none of these are the main issue for this organization as it is currently constructed. The CEO and Board of Directors who willfully enable such behavior are to be directly blamed for the current state of the organization.

The organization is not financially sound (constantly owing vendors months, some years) even though it generates a sizable amount of revenue and while I was there carried a 'sizable' debt. The ability to pay 'regular bills' (what has to be paid to keep the lights on, etc.) is something that reaches every level of the organization and hinders the ability for it's employees to maintain healthy relationships with outside partners who know that they will not be paid on time. At the end of the day all other pieces of the organization are regularly sacrificed to make sure that the most visible piece is held in it's proper place as a world champion-level performance ensemble.

The office has a culture that is so toxic I have never personally witnessed or heard of one remotely as bad in my professional career. That culture is due directly to the CEO and their daily actions.

The Board of Directors have been given first-hand reports of conditions from employees and have chosen to ignore the recommendations regarding the Chief Executive Officer for years.

Former employees have been subject to a variety of retribution, one being profiled at length, by name, in a youtube video that was distributed to thousands of industry professionals which contained factual inaccuracies about the former employee's performance.

Staff are berated, undermined and under-prepared for the tasks they are asked to achieve.

There are no systems. There are no processes. There is no method. There is only today and today's fires which will consume the entire bandwidth of the organization until it's put out. They we start tomorrow with tomorrow's fires.

Many employees main focus rests with when they might be fired or when they plan to leave and to where.

There is no upside or any condition that I would recommend any person go to work for this company. No amount of money or benefits could convince any of its former employees to return under the current management team.

No one should be blinded of their views of the organization by it's most public face. The tree may still produce fruit but the trunk is rotten and hollow and only a matter of time before it falls.

Advice to Management

The Board of Directors should take active responsibility of it's role and obligation to the non-profit and exercise control, not blindly following what it is told. I fear for what might happen should this organization be 'righted' before it all comes crashing down.