Youth Education in the Arts - Warning - Do Not Work Here | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Youth Education in the Arts

"Warning - Do Not Work Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I worked at Youth Education in the Arts (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro I can remember was leaving my last day.

Cons

Not one true positive review on Glassdoor, that seems right.

If you are a Drum Corps person don't let the allure of working for The Cadets cloud your vision.

All of the reviews you have read are 100% true and correct, these are very bitter people because we were all treated like garbage by the CEO and most of staff,. Saying that the Board of Directors should take the CEO out of his position will never happen. Not when you fill the board with people that idolize him and feel like they are a part of the corps because they have donated money to YEA! and The Cadets.

If traveling to really cool Stadiums to help buses park in the lot for 14 -16 hours a day ,sell T-shirts , loading trucks and vans at 2, 3 or 4 am in the morning and then figuring out that your Salary becomes basically 3-4 dollars an hour this is not the job for you. There was never enough help at live events and you were expected to do it all.. All of CEO'S top people are all yes men and women, mainly because they marched in the Drum Corps or Marched with the Cadets at one point or they are just Drum Corps or Band Nerds. If you are an outsider thinking you are there to do good, give it 6 months, that entire place will break your spirit and you will start looking for work sooner than later. Also your co-workers are not the most friendly either, at least when I worked there.

Don't disagree with him either. He knows everything about life, relationships, fashion, music, not paying bills on time, lying to your face, hiring some very questionable people and how and why people should donate to the non profit.

He knows everything about everything, oh and when he gets in a bad mood, especially when his Drum Corps is not winning every year, because he knows they should, make sure you don't talk to him, because he will not interact with you or give you the time of day. He also has this special test he gives his employee, it's all a mental game with him to see if you are strong enough to compete on his level of megalomania.

There were some other comments here about illegal activities and unethical activities, I would agree with that. Just do the right thing and stay clear of the Non Profit Organization.

Advice to Management

The CEO/Director needs to grow up and stop acting like a spoiled kid, By now I would have to think you are almost 60 years old. Sooner or Later that mystique and lore of being who you think you are is going to go away.

Other Employee Reviews for Youth Education in the Arts

1. "CEO must GO!"

Pros

Could be the best Youth organization but the CEO MUST GO!

Cons

Read ALL the nagitive reviews. The are all 100% correct!
    Avoid working here like the plage untill you see a new CEO!

Spends every dime the company raises and The Cadets and invest as little as possiable on ALL other programs.

YEA is in survival mode all of the time and can NOT acheive excellence due to the volatile environment!

CEO says we are growing but continues to fold program.

CEO thinks he is a GOD in the activity and can make every decisdion for every group within the company. It is impossiable to be a " one man show" and be successful.

If the CEO can not be excellent how can you expect anybody else to be excellent!

Advice to Management

If we continue with the current CEO, YEA will go bakrupt!

Fire the CEO, he has NO CLUE WHAT HE IS DOING!

2. "Former corps staff member"

Former Contractor - Corps Instructional Staff
    Former Contractor - Corps Instructional Staff

I worked at Youth Education in the Arts as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great instructional staff members who are mostly working professional musicians and teachers. I loved every minute of working with these people and I learned so much from these folks who I still admire and respect to this day.

Cons

The CEO is a complete and utter nutjob. GRADE-A WHACKO! First of all, you only get paid in peanuts and cracker jacks if you teach for either corps. When I was "terminated", I was never formally told. I heard from OTHER PEOPLE the day before the 1st camp of the 2016 season that I was no longer on staff. Well no skin off my bones. And don't get me started about a colleague of mine who is basically the CEO's "indentured servant." He planned to resign one year from what my colleague told me, he basically did not accept his resignation and told him to get back to work. Who the hell has that kind of power over someone? It was a blessing in disguise that I was "terminated" and I will no longer ever work for a "CEO" like that. But it's no wonder a few key teachers decided to FINALLY leave. I am very happy for those guys to find a home at a different organization who will hopefully treat them with the respect they deserve!!!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with dignity and respect. The CEO has no right to be asking people to work every single day for over 18 hours a day with no breaks.