Youth Villages - Waiting for my ticket out of there | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Youth Villages

"Waiting for my ticket out of there"

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The relationships I have built with my coworkers are positive, uplifting and long lasting. I also enjoy the work with my clients.

Cons

This job is like an abusive relationship. its tears you down and makes you feel like its your own fault. Then it gives you a slight glimpse of hope which makes you think things will change..and it doesn't. Stressful work environment, no help when trying to take vacations, not feeling comfortable to go to management with problems because you will get shamed or get talked to about "time management" which the company does not help you maintain, low pay, management plays favorites and only will invest in you if you drink the company cool aid.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and give them support. We work as a team for the betterment of these kids and their families. When the helpers feel helpless...what kind of impact are we supposed to have on other?

Other Employee Reviews for Youth Villages

"Good PD, bad pay, manipulative"

Pros

Good experience for young college grads to put on their resume. Good professional development. Definitely looks good on paper.

Cons

Low pay, little to no overtime pay depending on the position, they'll work you to death.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they're worth.

"Never again."

I worked at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

I loved the actual time I spent with my clients and the work I was able to do with them. You are so involved with their lives, meeting with them so many times a week, that the relationship alone creates such a positive impact on their lives. I enjoyed the meaningful helping relationships I was able to create with my clients and their families as well as watching them grow and evolve towards a more harmonious sense of self and home environment. I truly miss that. It was the only thing that was hard to leave. Very very hard.

Cons

There are no boundaries with this job. I felt like I was working ALL THE TIME. Probably because I was. You are on call to your clients 24 hours a day during the work week and around once per month you are also on call for everyone's clients through the weekend, resulting in 24/7 being on the clock and ready to work with no time to regroup and focus on self care or have a life of your own outside of work. I've often heard my fellow employees close to tears speaking of how they feel the organization expects them to prioritize their client families at the cost of neglecting their own families. Suddenly the reasonable salary for this field becomes very unreasonable. Another major boundary issue is do not expect to be using a work line at this organization because all of your contact is through your personal cell phone, often via texting with your clients. Anyone who is familiar with clinical settings would know that this requirement is a complete and utter 'no no' in the field. In addition, the paperwork is absolutely insane. Now I know what you're thinking.. paperwork is always insane in this field. I agree. Paperwork is going to be intense no matter where you go. But I've worked at multiple different agencies, so I am not new to the field, and I can tell you honestly that yv's paperwork responsibilities are above and beyond the standard frustrations. I think besides unmanageable and constant deadlines, what made the paperwork so frustrating was that it was so obviously redundant and often unnecessary which became very discouraging and unmotivating when you found yourself frequently working into the night, losing time with your loved ones as well as time for self care. I do want to note that perhaps some of these major concerns can be mitigated depending on the quality of your relationship with your supervisor and/or your supervisor's management style. So for me, my lacking of a consistent and reasonable supervisor/supervisee relationship undoubtedly exacerbated these issues. With that said, I'm willing to admit that perhaps things aren't so bad at every yv office. However, the overall issues that I have outlined will surely still be present to varying degrees.

Advice to Management

Don't just pretend to care about your employees well-being. Actually care. And show it by responding to their feedback in a positive, constructive manner. The management at youth villages likes to put on airs telling you how much they care about employee feedback by encouraging specialists and the like to complete comment cards stationed at all area offices to be reviewed at "town hall" meetings. This and other things including the fact that they truly do promote from within.. i'm pretty sure most everyone in management started as a specialist.. made me feel like I could expect great support at this organization when I first started. Unfortunately, I quickly came to realize that this was just for show. Youth villages management, you can not ignore your high turnover rate. And forcing your new employees to sign off stating that if they leave before a year that they will be responsible for all costs of their MANDATORY trainings and pre employment physical is not the right and ethical way around it. Apply the same listening and empathy skills specialists are to use with clients. Specialists are overworked and set up to fail by being held to impossible standards. You will continue to lose good people who truly care about the work that they do and aren't just there to climb the corporate ladder as long as you continue to run them into the ground. Which is such a shame because the ideals YV obviously began with are wonderful.