Zayo - Humbling and Rewarding Experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Zayo

"Humbling and Rewarding Experience"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Louisville, CO
Current Employee - Project Manager in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- At Zayo you're working with some of the smartest folks in the industry. Seriously, I can't stress it enough, you're working with some very sharp individuals at Zayo. You're surround by MBAs and industry veterans at Zayo.
- The ability to telecommute is fantastic. Makes it easy to handle car problems, stay home with a sick child, etc...I think this is a huge bonus and shows that Zayo trusts and empowers its employees.
- Very little micro management. Its a gift and a curse but I like that I don't have someone looking over my shoulder. As long as you get your work done you're fine, but trust me they'll know if you're getting your work done.
- The hours are long, but with the ability to telecommute you can be flexible in your hours. So work the standard 8-5, grab dinner with your family, and then wrap up anything left over from the day for a few hours. I know no one "wants" to work long hours, but you get out what you put in and if you're creative and great at time management you can make the hours work.
- 15 days off to start. Not the best, but also far from the worst.

Cons

- Very little training. Although this wasn't a huge concern for me I can see how this can be a concern for others. But I think this does afford you the opportunity to learn things in the style that best suits your needs and this also allows you to show case your problem solving and critical thinking skills. Because there's no set "process" you can tweak the process and add new life into something that may be outdated.
- Limited seating, monitors, phones, etc...
- Sometimes the communication between product groups is mind-boggling. Working with your counterparts in other groups can be a lot like pulling teeth. I think it depends on the individual, but sometimes folks forget that we're all on the same team!
- More accountability on the supporting teams and not just the project managers.

Advice to Management

- More incentive or better compensation for those looking to further their education. With so many MBAs within Zayo I would say the feeling is that higher learning is encouraged however the tuition reimbursement plan doesn't support this. The current reimbursement plan is not much and will barely cover a couple credits at your local college.

Zayo Response

Jul 25, 2013 – CEO

Thanks for the review. I agree product groups will need to find their way to be more synchronized with one another. This won't be mandated, but it will be encouraged. For a product group to... More

Other Employee Reviews for Zayo

"Self Absorbed Execs Focused Solely on Bottom Line"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I worked at Zayo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced company, with huge potential for growth and employee opportunities.
    Co-workers are committed and hard-working.
    Zayo hires qualified and experienced staff.

Cons

Focus on shareholder growth at the cost of employee satisfaction = difficult to retain top talent.
    Lack of empathy and understanding for and of employee needs makes this a very difficult place to work.
    Zero work / life balance.
    CEO is very difficult to work with.
    Chief of staff is very difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

Time to make changes at the senior executive level and bring in new leadership; focus on making decisions with with people in mind and less focus on shareholder growth. People and employees have to factor into the success of the company long term. Allow managers to reward our employees; it is very frustrating to lose key staff to competitors due to compensation issues.

"Amazing co-workers creating value together in a learning culture, make Zayo a great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President, Chief of Staff in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President, Chief of Staff in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to be part of a learning organization where smart people spend every minute of the workday developing solutions that delight our customers and create value for investors, then Zayo should be your top rated company!!!

Zayo has a very hip, cool culture where all employees use salesforce.com for activities that encompass most processes from sales to collections. Employees are encouraged to learn and grow their careers by transferring to other positions within Zayo. Employee’s internal movement has the added benefit of making the culture like a small village, where cross organizational teams know each other and work really well together. In fact, having amazing co-workers is one of the top reasons to work at Zayo.

Many employees joined Zayo via acquisitions. Others have joined because they enjoy being part of an M&A culture … where integrating 25+ companies onto a common platform has become one of our core competencies.

There are lots of opportunities to have an impact on Zayo’s success and on your career. Zayo’s base pay is fair. Quarterly bonuses and a great commission plan for sales employees make it possible for the employees who contribute to value creation to quickly share in the financial rewards that come with being part of a successful company. Zayo also offers an equity program to employees who are viewed as having the highest impact on creating value.

Cons

The cons at Zayo could be viewed as pros by some.

The work is intense and at times the work hours are long. I've been with Zayo for 6+ years and have loved every minute of the hard work.

On the plus side, we aren't a company with a lot of firedrills and wasted effort. When you work really hard on a project, it makes a huge difference.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on creating value. Continue to hire smart, hardworking people. Never cease to provide opportunities for employees to show leadership and create positive change within the organization.