Zebra Technologies - Historically Solid Wall Street Performer; Market Leader; Technically Challenging Products; Abundant Opportunities | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Zebra Technologies

"Historically Solid Wall Street Performer; Market Leader; Technically Challenging Products; Abundant Opportunities"

Current Employee - New Product Development Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
Current Employee - New Product Development Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Zebra Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My tenure at Zebra has been exclusively in New Product Engineering and Development at our Vernon Hills, IL facility.

What I admire most about Zebra is that it remains a company where, despite its medium-large company size, an enterprising associate can make his or her mark and receive the individual recognition they deserve. Even our co-op students and interns have visibility up through the VP level! (Prior to joining Zebra, I worked at two very large defense companies and never even saw our divisional heads.) Innovation at every level is strongly encouraged, and given the acceleration in “The Internet of Things”, Zebra is uniquely well-positioned for continued future growth.

Cons

In past years I might have commented that Zebra’s senior executive team tended to be too conservative. (To use a basketball analogy, they didn’t take many three point shots.) The past couple of years, however, there has been a noticeable change in attitude, led by our CEO Anders Gustafsson. The technology areas in which Zebra now plays are growing exponentially, and our senior staff recognizes that we need to take more calculated risks in response to our customer’s rapidly changing needs.

The Zebra culture is not for everyone. As is mentioned elsewhere by other Glassdoor reviewers, Zebra maintains a “small company feel” – and I wholeheartedly agree with that. However, my take on “small company feel” is that self-starters who take personal pride and responsibility for their individual contributions and are comfortable (and even enjoy) the ambiguity of challenging work – they will thrive in this culture. People who are easily discouraged in the face of obstacles and require specific, literal, directives of their managers - these associates will not be as successful...

Advice to Management

Keep going strong on the innovation push! Continue to encourage and reward risk-taking. Engage more cross-organizational teams in understanding our customer’s many challenges in the face of a rapidly changing technological landscape.

Other Employee Reviews for Zebra Technologies

1. "First Job out of College, Positive Experience"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Zebra Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Zebra is a great place to work with many great teachers and mentors. Zebra has a great brand reputation and that permeates into the culture. This is a very product centric company, which is great if you are in product development, management or marketing.

There are many employees that have been with Zebra upwards of 15 years, and are willing to share their experiences and knowledge with you. There has also been a lot of fresh new blood in middle and upwards management that has greatly improved the way we launch and position our products.

Zebra has an excellent work life balance. There is ample opportunity for cross functional team experiences through our special internal programs. I have had significant face time with executive management as someone fairly early in my career.

Cons

Zebra's great brand reputation has led to some overly conservative views that can hold us back as a company from innovating and changing. While we're working on changing this,shifting culture can take time.

Significant changes to our organization and long term strategy have not been met with staffing changes to address both skill set needs and manpower.

While Zebra requires an MBA for many roles, their financial support for further education is minimal. Overall compensation and benefits are on par with expectations.

Advice to Management

Senior management is not unified in how to treat their employees. Departments need more sense of belonging to encourage teams to go above and beyond.

The operational management team has significant experience in this arena and knows the product well. Communicating downward to their larger teams more frequently would keep morale high even in the heat of development programs.

2. "Great company with great opportunities"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Zebra Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, benefits, and opportunities. There is a way to accomplish anything you are looking for here! Most of the managers are amazing and are willing to help and listen.

Cons

While improving in this area, they should keep working to remove the department silos. Share what each department does and who is in each department. There are areas of growth and development available when people know what is out there.

Advice to Management

Share information with your associates. The more they know, the more helpful they can be to you.