Zendesk - a dream job at a dream company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Zendesk

"a dream job at a dream company"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

40-something founders and management team means that they've been there before and have a level of maturity and focus that is rare in startups. CEO cares so deeply about customers, community and employees as opposed to his own ego or riches. Laughter and joy are the most common emotions expressed.

Customers LOVE LOVE LOVE Zendesk, even if our product (and people) aren't perfect. When a customer tells us they are leaving for a competitor, we actually help them do it, and treat them with respect and care on their way out. And they often come back when they realize they'be been duped.

Nobody in the company is satisfied with any aspect of the product, company, design or culture. This gives us all a sense of "kaizen" (continuous improvement) which is very healthy. Plus the Zen thing is more than a fat Buddha on the website, it's weirdly (and appropriately) weaved throughout our culture.

And I get to say curse words all the time and people don't get uncomfortable. The "old timers" who were there at the beginning are very welcoming of newer people which is rare.

I could go on and on....

Cons

Just typical fast-growing startup stuff. Growing fast has meant some mediocre hires in key roles which can breed more mediocrity. Sales/marketing culture may over-power original product/engineering/support culture, which is fine, but needs to be effectively managed. Amazing contributors (and there are many) need to realize they are amazing and not feel somehow marginalized.

Advice to Management

Don't mess it up by going too fast.

Other Employee Reviews for Zendesk

"Diamond in the rough."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very easy going company culture. Very family oriented, values hard work, but does not keep it's employees at their desks for 12+ hours.

They promote growth within the company. You are not stuck in one position -- if you have excellent performance and are employed for 6 months, you have the opportunity to apply for other positions within the company.

Cons

Office layout segregates a lot of departments from each other making collaboration much harder. No catered breakfast / dinner, but honestly, we're not a culture that really needs it as we're usually at home for breakfast & dinner. Could use better health benefits as far as gym memberships go.

"A breath of fresh Zen"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A cool company, a big vision, and dedication to doing right by our growing customer base, and each other, making us a great lead by example environment with tremendous respect. All the fun perks of a SF startup, with the seriousness of building a mega-business in the customer support space makes this a great place to build your career.

Cons

The location of the tenderloin makes the walk to work mostly meant for the urban adventurer...

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!