Zillow - Meaningful, profitable work with a great team | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Zillow

"Meaningful, profitable work with a great team"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great people whom you can trust to do their job well, great opportunity in an industry that can use innovation, and strong shared sense of mission to fulfill consumer needs. I feel lucky to work with this quality of colleagues on this kind of business opportunity with this redeeming a project.

One other thing -- transparency on strategy and performance to the whole company. This company is pretty unique in the degree to which everyone can know what's going on and how we're doing.

Cons

Things move fast -- you have to be comfortable living with the foot on the gas. As start-ups go, this is run as a survivable business. We're not on a forced march to IPO, leaving bodies along the path -- we have fun, people can take vacations. The people need to work long hours with some regularity, as we ship a lot of stuff, but certainly not every day.

The culture is straightforward, which can feel blunt and even harsh. Personally, I appreciate a culture where everyone (at every rung of the ladder) can say what they think -- as long as they back it up with data or rationale. There is little beating around the bush, which means things get done faster. Sometimes the bluntness involves less tact than it could, but hey this is a tech company.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing mid managers, and helping mid managers train and develop their reports. We have smart people in some positions without a lot of management experience. Sometimes execs assume that smart people can automatically manage well. Some execs could also think about managing people more, not just projects and features. We do have some good execs on this front, but not all.

Other Employee Reviews for Zillow

"Best company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Culture - there is even a culture committee to ensure Zillow maintains a comfortable and fun work environment. As an employee, I was given ample opportunity to shine and mold my position into what I wanted it to be. Location and view can't be beat.

Cons

Since it's still in startup mode, compensation and benefits have some room to improve. I'd say that they are about average for the industry. But if you are considering working here, you are likely qualified to work at Microsoft, whose benefits can't be beat.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Love the place - wouldn't work anyplace else"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Smart people, challenging work, huge potential, fast moving, solid strategy, great place to learn and grow

Cons

Not a public company, so no liquidity yet. Lots of upside in future value of stock options.

Advice to Management

Let's keep moving fast!