Zillow - Great Place to Work | Glassdoor

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Development Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Awesome culture of mutual respect, team work, and growth.
It's a place for both employees who have families and those who are just starting out their carriers and want to work hard and burn the midnight oil. Company still retains its startup culture and encourages openess

Cons

Can't really think of much.

Zillow Response

Nov 21, 2013 – CEO

Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm really glad that you've had a good experience here. It's particularly cool to see that you think we have retained our "startup culture" - that's something... More

Other Employee Reviews for Zillow

"Smart People. Huge Opportunity."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with amazing people. No lack of fascinating problems to solve. Help to revolutionize a massive industry at a company that is still in growth mode.

Cons

Many departments seem constantly understaffed. Base salary could be higher for tech positions but benefits(except still no 401k Match, come on) and stock are great.

Advice to Management

Best senior leadership I've ever worked with. Anyone who doesn't approve of Spencer is a lunatic.

Zillow Response

Dec 12, 2013 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

LOL - thank you for the shout-out. Much appreciated. I'm glad you're having a good experience at Zillow, especially since you're an old-timer (more than 3 years)! I agree that many departments are... More

"A Boiler Room by any other name, still smells as rotten..."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits (Heath, Dental, 24 Hour Fitness membership- if I'd ever had time to go, stock options), plus "perks" to keep you perky like free espresso, coffee, Red Bull, Monster, sodas, and lunch catered once a week, plus once a month Happy Hours after work with apps and beer. Also, the company flew us to Seattle for the holiday party and put us up at the W hotel.

A few of the top Inside Sales Consultants DO actually earn a 6-figure income, and even with your base pay and hitting just quota, you can make a decent income.

Cons

11-12 hours days with lunch breaks severely frowned upon. Basically, if you take lunch, it's nearly impossible to hit your "call time" of 210 min per day- That's time spent TALKING on the phone- not counting dialing, ringing, etc. Can you say micromanagement?? I loved my job at Zillow for the first 2-3 months I was there. I thought it was the best job ever. This seems to be the path of most Inside Sales Consultants. You are given praise and encouragement and low, manageable quotas during your 'ramping' period of your first 3 months. You literally "drink the Kool Aid" (or Red Bull, in this case) and think Zillow is the Best Place ever.
    Then Reality sets in, as does the stress, micromanagement, constant stream of emails about your talk time being too low. If you enjoy receiving 300 emails per day asking what you are going to sell, telling you to join the next of a never ending stream of call "blitzes," this may be the job for you. Still, I think 6-9 months seems to be the threshold for about 85% of people, hence the turnover rate. This is a HIGH burnout job.
    If you are looking at working for Zillow and not reading many reviews like this, consider this: I recently quit my position to take another job. Several people I that started in my training class have been let go. (Actually from my class of 18, only 3 now remain.) I recently learned that when they are let go for not meeting quota, they are offered a severance pay in return for signing an agreement to not post anything negative online about the company. It seems they are buying the silence of anyone who might say anything non-positive about working there. I signed no such agreement. Just thought you should know this if considering taking the position.

Advice to Management

Positive reinforcement always works much better than negative. There needs to be allowance for differences in people's styles. And for Pete's sake, turn down the Techno mus