Zondervan - Vice President of Finance interfacing with Corporate and the Shared Services Center. Generally a well managed company. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Zondervan

"Vice President of Finance interfacing with Corporate and the Shared Services Center. Generally a well managed company."

Former Employee - Vice President of Finance in Grand Rapids, MI
Former Employee - Vice President of Finance in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Zondervan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

HarperCollins is the parent company which provides competitive direction towards the digitization of book publishing, information technology, distribution, and other general business practices. Zondervan was able to operate in a quasi-independent manner with the assistance of corporate knowledge in New York.

Cons

Decisions were not always made by the Zondervan management but we passed down from the parent company in New York. Additionally, long-term strategic planning and direction were often predetermined due to the talent and staffing levels of HarperCollins NY therefore the senior management team was not in complete control of their destiny.

Advice to Management

Improve the working relationship with HarperCollins by having more of it's own forward thinking stategic opportunities rather than waiting for direction and instructions from Corporate in NY>

Other Employee Reviews for Zondervan

1. "My experience at Zondervan was outstanding."

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Zondervan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people were wonderful to each other. The jobs were challenging yet very satisfying and fun to do. The work atmosphere is fun yet the tasks are completed on time.

Cons

Hourly employees tend to watch their time on breaks and lunch hours more than the salaried employees do. Upper management can be a problem for some.

Advice to Management

Upper Management needs to be more transparent with everyone.

2. "Temporary Employee"

Former Contractor - Editorial Assistant
    Former Contractor - Editorial Assistant

I worked at Zondervan as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

-A lot of learning opportunities.
    -Room for advancement. There were many temporary employees while I was there. Most of them were hired on full time or were able to move to a different company with ease.
    -Coworkers were great.

Cons

-Expect long hours. My department was under staffed so it wasn't unusual to stay late and take work home.

Advice to Management

My supervisor tended to micromanage. I didn't mind because I saw the necessity but not everyone performs well under such scrutiny.