Zoosk - Great employees make Zoosk a great place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Zoosk

"Great employees make Zoosk a great place to work"

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

Pros

Zoosk is great for people who appreciate the energy of a start up environment balanced with the security of working for a successful, established company. Employees are generally smart and teamwork is emphasized over ego.

Cons

Mid Market location isn't ideal, but the area has seen a noticeable improvement in the past year. It does help to have other startups are in the vicinity bringing young professionals into the neighborhood during the day.

Advice to Management

Salaries are not as competitive as other tech companies in the area. This can change to reduce turnover of top talent.

Other Employee Reviews for Zoosk

"Going nowhere at the speed of light..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked here for a bit and like many Tech companies they all have the free snacks, subsidized gym memberships, and dinner. With that said, this shouldn't be a differentiator if you are looking at a job in Tech these days. It's the minimum requirement in order to recruit and retain talent so the best people don't go to other companies.

I shouldn't look at a gift horse in the mouth, but I didn't like the fact that they only have free dinner since it forced people to work later. Also since all the Engineers in the company come in later, it's really meant for them and not the rest of the staff which gets in early and leaves before Dinner. They do this as a carrot at the end of the stick. This fact isn't explicitly stated, but it's what's really going on and these perks aren't meant for all. Flex Time off looks good on paper and sounds amazing but I never saw any of it. There are many companies like Twitter or Square which don't adhere to this philosophy and their perks seem more genuine in nature.

Cons

I worked as a Customer Service Rep and we were treated terribly. We had to bring our own food in the form of potlucks for parties and management wouldn't pay for meals like they do in other departments in the company. The company puts a lot of care into the other departments, even going as far as to do amazing interior design for their meeting rooms. Unfortunately, the Customer Service department looked like a prison and we were treated like prisoners too. Concrete Walls and we didn't even get our own laptops like in other parts of the company. The job was difficult as well as there were many angry customers and they didn't like the company's aggressive marketing campaigns. You could immediately tell that management wanted to treat us a cost center and not as a advantage. The next step is to offshore the entire department overseas so we cost them even less and they can shut down the prison. I couldn't see much career path there and needed to move on.

Advice to Management

Give the Customer Service Department some respect. We're your frontlines talking to customers all day and serve a important role. Zoosk is more than just the engineers and marketing. Customer service promotes the brand, keeps customers, and engages them. Where would you be without it?

"Lack of vision, poor management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are generally nice and there are great perks like a subsidized gym membership and free dinner. The engineering team is dedicated and can be fun to work with. There are free dinners and they try and make the work environment fun, but it is extremely forced. They throw happy hours every Thursday but most of the socializing that goes on is a bit awkward. The pay is alright but you could get better opportunities elsewhere in the Bay Area doing more innovative, meaningful, and impactful work. The new offices are nicely decorated but its located in a rundown area of town. I have seen homeless people publicly defecate and urinate on my way to and leaving work which was quite unpleasant. There were a lot of learning opportunities early on when I joined but its no longer a startup even though they try and tell new employees that it is and try their best to make it seem like it is.

Cons

Its a gossipy environment which others have said before. It feels like high school even though all the employees are full grown adults. I have even seen Management engage in this banter which was disheartening. Management is extremely top down and it is the opposite of a flat 360 degree organization. Oftentimes I would offer my professional advice only to have my opinions shot down by management. If they wanted to hire me with my engineering and business expertise and never hear my advice and opinions, then why not hire a mindless employee without experience or credentials to begin with? Sometimes the CEOs (at one point there were 2...go figure) would come in and try to change code as it was being pushed out without notifying the rest of the team. This would perhaps be fine if they had great vision and could afford such tactics but there were several missteps including trying to create a romantic social network which was a big failure. Why make a new social network when Facebook is clearly the defacto choice by users worldwide? Also the company's business is not based on any true innovations in online dating. There were companies like Tinder who one-upped us with more innovative free services, and there seemed to be a general lack of interest in innovation and instead a focus on monetization and copying the competition. Although understandable from a financial and business perspective, why not offer both? With all the free online services on the market (and more every day), more established Internet dating companies, what is the rationale for customers to use Zoosk, and what is the long term potential for this company? Short term gains with no focus on long term growth. Don't become the next Zynga...

Advice to Management

Focus on true long term innovation that benefits your customers without resorting to cheap business tactics and the growth will come. Listen to your employees; you hired them for their expertise in their chosen field - we aren't just robots working on whatever you tell us to do, especially for cheap monetization and gamification tactics.