Zoosk - Great environment at a company with potential | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Zoosk

"Great environment at a company with potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of cross-pollination between different teams. Co-workers are usually open to new ideas and working together to solve problems. In my experience team leaders have been more than willing to invest time into developing the skills of younger employees, so working here has been a great opportunity to learn. Management seems to attract employees who are friendly and engaging so the atmosphere is pretty jovial, overall.

The company and the product itself are *truly* driven by big-data and should stay ahead of the curve as the industry and competition evolve. Most people here have faith in the products (website, apps, etc.) as well as the trajectory of the business as it continues to grow.

As with most tech companies, the benefits package is great. There are free snacks, drinks, catered dinner nightly and (I think) everyone gets a complimentary gym membership. Some say that it's not as generous as other tech companies, but I personally don't feel the need to have Street Fighter II or Dance Dance Revolution in my office :)

Cons

The location -- on 6th and Market -- can be a bit off-putting. Things are getting better, though, as the tech industry presence increases (Spotify, Zendesk, Twitter, and others are all close by). The quality of local businesses and cleanliness of the neighborhood are consequently improving.

Other Employee Reviews for Zoosk

"Great employees make Zoosk a great place to work"

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

Pros

Zoosk is great for people who appreciate the energy of a start up environment balanced with the security of working for a successful, established company. Employees are generally smart and teamwork is emphasized over ego.

Cons

Mid Market location isn't ideal, but the area has seen a noticeable improvement in the past year. It does help to have other startups are in the vicinity bringing young professionals into the neighborhood during the day.

Advice to Management

Salaries are not as competitive as other tech companies in the area. This can change to reduce turnover of top talent.

"Going nowhere at the speed of light..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked here for a bit and like many Tech companies they all have the free snacks, subsidized gym memberships, and dinner. With that said, this shouldn't be a differentiator if you are looking at a job in Tech these days. It's the minimum requirement in order to recruit and retain talent so the best people don't go to other companies.

I shouldn't look at a gift horse in the mouth, but I didn't like the fact that they only have free dinner since it forced people to work later. Also since all the Engineers in the company come in later, it's really meant for them and not the rest of the staff which gets in early and leaves before Dinner. They do this as a carrot at the end of the stick. This fact isn't explicitly stated, but it's what's really going on and these perks aren't meant for all. Flex Time off looks good on paper and sounds amazing but I never saw any of it. There are many companies like Twitter or Square which don't adhere to this philosophy and their perks seem more genuine in nature.

Cons

I worked as a Customer Service Rep and we were treated terribly. We had to bring our own food in the form of potlucks for parties and management wouldn't pay for meals like they do in other departments in the company. The company puts a lot of care into the other departments, even going as far as to do amazing interior design for their meeting rooms. Unfortunately, the Customer Service department looked like a prison and we were treated like prisoners too. Concrete Walls and we didn't even get our own laptops like in other parts of the company. The job was difficult as well as there were many angry customers and they didn't like the company's aggressive marketing campaigns. You could immediately tell that management wanted to treat us a cost center and not as a advantage. The next step is to offshore the entire department overseas so we cost them even less and they can shut down the prison. I couldn't see much career path there and needed to move on.

Advice to Management

Give the Customer Service Department some respect. We're your frontlines talking to customers all day and serve a important role. Zoosk is more than just the engineers and marketing. Customer service promotes the brand, keeps customers, and engages them. Where would you be without it?