Zumiez - Challenge from the start. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Zumiez

"Challenge from the start."

Current Employee - First Assistant Store Manager in Davenport, IA
Current Employee - First Assistant Store Manager in Davenport, IA

Pros

Very fun, laid back atmosphere to work in. High energy, do what you want, no rules apply kind of store. Organized chaos , and I LOVE that. My team was absolutely amazing, we all worked together so good! The first year I worked there I got to go to Washington state for a snow conference, Chicago for a district meeting, and Colorado as a reward trip, everything paid for by zumiez.

Cons

Within the first two months of working there I was expected to run the store with little to no staff. I finally got promoted from second assistant to first assistant. Although an acting store manager was put into place I continued to train and learn how to properly run the store. At my one year mark I asked for another raise, when I thought i was going to get an "Of course you have done so much" Instead I was told i needed to make a list of reasons why i deserved a raise and then I was given $0.25.

Advice to Management

You expect so much out of your employees which i think is GREAT, but i believe there is a time to ask for more and there is a time to step back and say what an AWESOME job you did. Also have more faith in your managers, we do and can do more then you give us credit for.

Other Employee Reviews for Zumiez

1. "Funnest company to work for in the retail industry by far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The people you work with are AWESOME! We have a ton of fun, nothing is taken too seriously, get to listen to our own music and have a good time. Zumiez offers a ton of contests where you can win giftcards, prizes and trips! Opportunity to be promoted in the company is there for anyone who is willing to take the challenge.

Cons

It is exhausting to be in a high pressure selling environment for long periods of time. Sometimes I get very tired of talking to people.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome! Don't be too by the book.

"Weak Company"

Current Employee - Second Assistant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Second Assistant in Denver, CO

Pros

Some great people
    Wear what you like
    Play your own music

Cons

Really poor pay
    Favoritism
    Weak training
    Weak Senior Management
    Weak Technology
    Weak processes
    Zero Benefits
    Zero paid time off
    Zumiez has to one of the worst business I have come across
    Not paid for all the hours you work - Otherwise known as stealing from your employees

Advice to Management

Lol. If the management were smart enough to understand the advice. Hmmm. Zumiez is only successful because it is situated in many locations, that people shop in and it keeps its overheads low by stealing from and underpaying its employees. If a stronger more organized retailer should tackle zumiez head on and offer similar or better products. Zumiez would go by the way of the dodo