Zuora - Worst sales culture I've seen in my career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Zuora

"Worst sales culture I've seen in my career"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive
Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I worked at Zuora full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On the face of it, compensation is good, but like another reviewer pointed out, maximizing your variable is another story.

Cons

I was here a short time but in that period I had two large deals fall through because the prospect did back door references and were told to stay away from Zuora. One customer said it was the worst purchasing decision they ever made in their career.

And as others have pointed out, many of these positive reviews seem planted. I was asked by HR to write a review when I'd been there only a few weeks. They provided some helpful "guidance" as to what to write.

You can dismiss the bad reviews as bitter or disgruntled employees but isn't that the point of leaving reviews? They are bitter and disgruntled for a reason. Luckily I didn't stay long enough to become bitter but I can see how it would happen.

This company is great at hyping themselves up and making it seem like it's on the fast path to IPO, great culture, etc. Once I was there, it didn't take long to see the truth and I regretted leaving my previous company, where I was making good money and my deals didn't get blown up by bad customer references.

We live in Silicon Valley, the tech capital of the world, why work here when you have so many options?

Advice to Management

Stop asking employees to plant reviews, it's creating a false impression that isn't lived up to.

Other Employee Reviews for Zuora

"Great company, good people"

I have been working at Zuora full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, I've been at a few startups around the Valley, and there is a reason that this one wins Glassdoor awards for best company to work for. The culture is good, really good. I think some of the negative reviews on here are either the individuals, or were from some bad times I have heard existed in the past.

It's a very debate oriented, introspective culture. Things get discussed...a lot...but everyone's involved and everyone gets a say. Even if they don't deserve a say!

The vision is excellent. It's pretty unique for what is essentially a boring industry, billing. The CEO is truly inspirational. It's about as close as you'd get to a Steve Jobs in enterprise software.

Look, people here just aren't jerks. And god knows there's a ton of them floating around in the Valley. It's a good place, with good people, doing good, interesting work. They respect you, they respect your opinion, if you're really too stupid to deserve one. God knows theres a ton of other places that are WAY worse.

Cons

Introspection means features take aggeeess to get out. That can be frustrating for some people with ADD in the Valley, which is a lot of people. But when they do get something out you can guarantee it's been debated and thought out a lot. It's not just a random decision like some other startups I have been in.

And look at its core, it's billing, not a social network for dolphins with dementia or whatever ridiculous fad is going around in the Valley. It's solid and steady, but billing is boring, even though they want to do and have done some pretty interesting things.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more agile, do more ambitious stuff and get it out faster...the competition never sleeps.

"90 -100% AE Turnover within a year, Combative management"

I have been working at Zuora full-time

Pros

Fairly transparent organization.
    Some very capable and smart folks in every department, all levels
    Competitive comp (BUT, maximizing your variable is another story)
    Communication is open and one is encouraged to work cross functionally.
    The sales team is in fact highly regarded within the organization and Zuora is known to groom strong sales talent.
    Sales has access to resources and there is a team selling environment
    You will be treated like you’re in a frat. Take that as you wish.

Cons

Very difficult place to work and everyone knows it. The following will sound exaggerated and coming from a disgruntled employee but sadly, it's neither.

First off, all the recent 5 star reviews are written by
    a) those who have been here since Feb’14 who Mgmt asked to review because they don’t know any better or
    b) Senior management who are having trouble recruiting

The most tenured reps on the Enterprise/SMB/Mid-Market/SDR teams have been at Zuora for ~1 year...everyone else has left. This is NOT Hyperbole, do validate on LinkedIn! This has been the precedent at Zuora since it’s founding but it extends well beyond the sales team. Mgmt has been desperately trying to improve morale as some very senior folks have recently left abruptly.

The culture created by the execs is simply combative. If you don't engage, you will get trampled. Sales management is the biggest culprit and forecast calls are a medium for humiliation. Once again, not an exaggeration nor isolated to the low performers. Please ask a Zuora rep what these "meetings" are called.

Quota? forget about it. 10-20% of reps even get close to their number and if you're a new AE in a tier 3 territory, chances of hitting are incredibly slim.

Very little inbound lead activity = you will prospect a lot YET historical data says that 80% of your number has to come from inbound (which you won't get.) Vicious cycle.

Product, while can be a good fit for some companies, is far from being the next billion dollar IPO that management likes to hype. Number of customers has remained flat for years, customer churn is a major problem and a very small group of clients are used as references over and over.

Large SDR team is mislead, unmotivated and not much of a value add. Outbound accounts for a VERY small portion of business and less so comes from the sdr team. A lot of blind leading blind

No sense of work/life balance. Sr Sales mgmt works like machines and reps are expected to as well. You will be berated if you go against this

Senior sales leadership is just not pleasant to be around most of the time. Nepotism abound, and unless you’re one of the rare guys in a golden patch, your time will come.

What's career progression?

Advice to Management

Execs:
    We have some very smart people but not very many "people" people making smart decisions. Understand that you've not figured out how to scale the sales team. Doing more of what you have been doing is obviously not going to work so a serious reevaluation is needed.

Discourage an aggressive, machismo culture. You will not get the true feedback explicitly so try to get a real ear to the ground because without change, you'll be hiring a brand new sales team of 25-30 reps again next year.

Sales VPs/ Directors:
    Treat your reps like adults. Sounds silly but you don’t actually do that today. We’re your real asset so treat us like one.

Oh and a popcorn machine during march madness alone isn't going to save morale.

Candidates:
    Take EVERYTHING they say during the recruiting process with a huge grain of salt. I highly encourage any potential candidate to back channel on LinkedIn because you will get a different story.