Zuora - Worst sales culture I've seen in my career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Zuora

"Worst sales culture I've seen in my career"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive
Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I worked at Zuora full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On the face of it, compensation is good, but like another reviewer pointed out, maximizing your variable is another story.

Cons

I was here a short time but in that period I had two large deals fall through because the prospect did back door references and were told to stay away from Zuora. One customer said it was the worst purchasing decision they ever made in their career.

And as others have pointed out, many of these positive reviews seem planted. I was asked by HR to write a review when I'd been there only a few weeks. They provided some helpful "guidance" as to what to write.

You can dismiss the bad reviews as bitter or disgruntled employees but isn't that the point of leaving reviews? They are bitter and disgruntled for a reason. Luckily I didn't stay long enough to become bitter but I can see how it would happen.

This company is great at hyping themselves up and making it seem like it's on the fast path to IPO, great culture, etc. Once I was there, it didn't take long to see the truth and I regretted leaving my previous company, where I was making good money and my deals didn't get blown up by bad customer references.

We live in Silicon Valley, the tech capital of the world, why work here when you have so many options?

Advice to Management

Stop asking employees to plant reviews, it's creating a false impression that isn't lived up to.

Other Employee Reviews for Zuora

"Great company, good people"

I have been working at Zuora full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, I've been at a few startups around the Valley, and there is a reason that this one wins Glassdoor awards for best company to work for. The culture is good, really good. I think some of the negative reviews on here are either the individuals, or were from some bad times I have heard existed in the past.

It's a very debate oriented, introspective culture. Things get discussed...a lot...but everyone's involved and everyone gets a say. Even if they don't deserve a say!

The vision is excellent. It's pretty unique for what is essentially a boring industry, billing. The CEO is truly inspirational. It's about as close as you'd get to a Steve Jobs in enterprise software.

Look, people here just aren't jerks. And god knows there's a ton of them floating around in the Valley. It's a good place, with good people, doing good, interesting work. They respect you, they respect your opinion, if you're really too stupid to deserve one. God knows theres a ton of other places that are WAY worse.

Cons

Introspection means features take aggeeess to get out. That can be frustrating for some people with ADD in the Valley, which is a lot of people. But when they do get something out you can guarantee it's been debated and thought out a lot. It's not just a random decision like some other startups I have been in.

And look at its core, it's billing, not a social network for dolphins with dementia or whatever ridiculous fad is going around in the Valley. It's solid and steady, but billing is boring, even though they want to do and have done some pretty interesting things.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more agile, do more ambitious stuff and get it out faster...the competition never sleeps.

"If you work hard, the payoff is there."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Zuora full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been working at Zuora for a short amount of time, and so far so good! I am very pleased with my decision to work here.

I have never been at a company where the earning potential was so high and achievable. Obviously that doesn't come without hard work and dedication. If you are willing to bust your butt, put in the hours, and be open to being coached be senior management, then the sky is the limit here. Zuora's marketing and ZBR department does a great job keeping the inbound leads coming, but you also have to prospect on your own. Frankly, this is the first job that I ever have had any inbound leads come my way, so to me that is all icing on the cake. The bottom line is, and there is no escaping this, you don't make a ton of dough without a ton of hours of work, period. And if you are looking for a 9-5 and expect to make 6 figures, then you are delusional.

--Great Product, love the team, everyone works hard and plays hard...the company is truly at the head of a worldwide movement in business with companies moving towards the subscription model, and to me, that is exciting.

The other thing I really value about working at Zuora, is that you get access to incredibly smart people, E-staff, management, etc....You don't get that level of access working for a Fortune 500.

The tools are there for you to be successful, you just have to grab things by the horns and run with it!

Cons

--The keg runs out often

Advice to Management

Things are coming along. Marc Diouane was a great addition to the team. There are some growing pains, but that's what one would expect in a growing company.
    Continue to build people up and use positive reinforcement--the small compliments go a long way! :)