Zynga - A great place for smart, driven people who care | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Zynga

"A great place for smart, driven people who care"

Current Employee - Game Designer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Game Designer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

If you can think it, you can do it at Zynga. It's fast-paced and fun. There are loads of perks, including free health care and a generous vacation policy (no policy - take time when you need it). Easy access to top management even with 3,000 employees. It's open and flexible here. You can do your best work at Zynga.

Cons

The environment encourages achievement and hard work -- bettering your best. It's not for everyone. Those not prepared for this, could be challenged.

Advice to Management

Keep the open and honest format and feedback.

Other Employee Reviews for Zynga

"Always pressure to get something out the door."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good perks and benefits. Free lunch and dinner. 5 - 25% bonus and equity. Has a start uppy feel. To it.

Cons

Once a quarter we'll work a few weekends. The work is dull. The code is a mess and hard to work with due to rushed schedules. Too many junior developers making poor decisions. Management has questionable morals.

Advice to Management

Don't make people work weekends. Focus on quality instead of quantity of games released. Start using more modern tools when available. Hire more seasoned developers to guide junior devs and only hire devs who have their fundamentals down (seems like a lot of sub par devs slipped through the cracks).

"The Smartest People You'll Ever Work With"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Literally everyone you work with is a rock star - across all teams, game studios, marketing, legal, finance, ad sales, etc., you're working with people who have amazing experience and an understanding of the game, tech and software landscapes.

We're in a nascent industry that will change the way people play on the web. Mark and the execs are serious about their mission of connecting the world through play. Yes we're a business, and maintaining profitability is important, but we also all understand that we're in the first inning within the industry. The opportunity to build the way people connect and play on the web is pretty amazing.

There's a lot of accountability and responsibility placed on individuals. I suppose if you're not the kind of person that wants to take on projects and push to make them happen, then this could be a con. I see this as a pro, people give you room to work.

Great benefits - you see this a lot, but healthcare is free for employees, cheap for family members, and the coverage is fantastic. Dental, Gym membership/gym at the office, take your dog to work. Free meals.

Cons

Work Life Balance - teams crunch around new launches and initiatives, and because we're a service company, we've have more crunch time. Some teams are overworked, but there's also a concerted effort to put in support systems to change that. We'll see how that progresses.

Need a better Roadmap. Related to work/life balance in some ways. When we see an opportunity, we jump on it and move quickly. It's one of the reason's we've been so successful. but that also means that people have to drop projects and move to other things, and that can be tough. It would be nice to find a way to maintain product flexibility, but not do it at the cost of weird cycles and churn.

Need a better understanding of career advancement and management tracks - there are favorites at the company, and real superstars, but it's not always clear on what you need to do to rise to the top.

Advice to Management

Now is a critical moment, as the company is public and looking to build value for the long term. The talent and the product development is there, now it's just a matter of figuring out the most efficient systems to give feedback, road map, and help people grow their careers at Zynga.