Zynga - Too many undelivered promises | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Zynga

"Too many undelivered promises"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food
Smart people

I was working on one of the "ville" games and I thought it was going to be a lot more interesting given how many millions of users we had.

Cons

Zero passion about the games
Grueling hours - my manager made me cancel a family vacation once
Very narrow scope and responsibilities
Hug team size plummeting stock price - I was told by the recruiter that we should expect $100 stock price a year after IPO. There should be a law against this.

Advice to Management

Remove Mark as CEO and put someone in his place that actually cares about the products they make.
Smaller teams and more achievable deadlines.

Other Employee Reviews for Zynga

"I love working here"

Current Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks and benefits - Gym, free meals, weekly happy hours, on-site haircuts, massages, bonuses, etc.
    Kick-ass culture - Not sure why this place is getting so much hate in the news. This is a work environment that definitely challenges employees to work hard, work smart, and collaborate with one another. I love it.
    Great people - I respect the majority of people here as professionals. Strong leaders are all over the company looking to work with each other towards the company vision. I also appreciate the many friendships I've built.
    Leaders care about employees - Leadership is always involved in getting their employees to better themselves as professionals and to promote from within. Additionally, there's many Zynga-wide programs that cater towards the serial-entrepreneur (hack-a-thons, game pitch nights, etc.).

Cons

Minimal cons. 1st world problems only (e.g. 3rd floor toaster often times burns my bagels). I suppose the only knack is that this is indeed a challenging environment. Depending on the project you may need to dedicate a solid 60-70 hour week or two (ok maybe three) once a quarter. Though, I'd argue that's not much of a con at all, especially if you love your job.

Advice to Management

It'd be great if employees could have dedicated time within the week and/or month to get more involved with entrepreneurial activities for Zynga (new games, new programs, education, etc.). I know the team is encouraged to do this throughout the quarter, however, it can be difficult for studio teams to make time for this.

"Lots of opportunity to hone politicking skills"

Former Employee - Lead Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge potential for career growth with the proper networking and connections
    Meritocracy still in place for ENTRY LEVEL positions
    Free food everywhere
    Dynamic work environment for Content Producers

Cons

Work-life balance is terrible. Average work weeks = 60-70 hours, more for "crunch" times
    Constant "code red" state for declining game studios
    Focus on quarterly goals promotes poor short-term product/engineering decisions
    Major "pivots" to company/departmental strategy make planning and reliable delivery impossible
    Poor bonuses to "support" departments (infrastructure and tech teams are the worst)
    Constant reorganizations exhaust employees (4 in a year for the team I was in)
    Myopic product focus = huge tech debt
    Waterfall SDLC (morning scrum does not make you Agile)
    Too many high-performing individual contributors elevated to managers w/out training and mentoring
    Impossibly Byzantine departments make it impossible to tackle large tech problems without involving 15 departments

If you are mid-level in your career, go somewhere else. You likely have a family, who you will feel guilty about neglecting. The pay will be okay, but the perks (free shirts, videogames everywhere, food, etc.) are for kids straight out of college. I'd rather pack a lunch and buy my own clothes - and I don't need videogames anywhere. Prepare for the office politics, which were easily the worst I've ever seen. Take direction well, be an excel wizard (product managers), and you should be fine.

Advice to Management

Pick a course and stick to it. Stop the 2nd class citizen structure (game studio v. not), OR stop pretending that Zynga is an egalitarian workplace. Consider the tradeoff between constant content churn and long-term tech benefits.