Zynga - Management needs improving | Glassdoor

"Management needs improving"

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, good benefits, can bring your dog to work, has many guest speakers. Excluding management you'll get to work with a lot of talented people.

Cons

Every project I've been on has had a team of amazing talented people to work with, but unfortunately it's the complete opposite for management. Poor management decisions leads to unnecessary crunch time and constantly having to redo old work. With the consistent poor leadership of those in charge, I'm honestly surprised Zynga can ever finish a game.

I've been on a project where we had a manager harass, lie, and make unnecessary remarks to several people on the team. The entire team that worked under him let his bosses know about the problems he was causing and he ended up getting promoted.

If you're good at office politics then you'll thrive at Zynga, otherwise stay far, far away and save yourself the stress and headaches.

Advice to Management

If a team of people have problems with their manager, don't ignore them, even if you're friends with the person that's causing them.

Have a trained psychologist screen future managers for psychopathic traits before promoting them to upper management.

Other Employee Reviews for Zynga

"Could be a fascinating case study of a dysfunctional organization"

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits, including free food
    Far reach - your relatives, friends, and wife's friends probably play their games

Cons

They talk the talk but don't walk the walk - for example, "Be your own CEO" is a core value but they micromanage employees
    Experience and knowledge of experienced employees frequently ignored - long hours by junior employees more valued than working smarter
    The studios are second class citizens - if you aren't at the main office in SF your options are limited and you are much more expendable
    Often mislead by management - optimism and a positive plan one day, then completely changed the next to something negative

Advice to Management

Change fast - stop depending on Facebook-only games and "the pinch" and "friction" to get customers to pay, and move towards pay for more fun and multi-platform games (mobile, tablet, console)

"Oh god, just don't."

Former Employee - Lead Artist
    Former Employee - Lead Artist

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I guess they feed you every day.

Cons

The food's not that good.