athenahealth - 7 months with engineering | Glassdoor

"7 months with engineering"

Former Employee - Programmer in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for less than a year

Pros

Office is modern and fancy. Good bonus. Testy pizza at cafeteria. Nice layoffs farewell package (including 12 weeks of paid COBRA + prorated bonus).

Cons

They don't know where to go (in development). I've been with Athena only few months. And directions were changed few times. Their technologies (legacy staff) are pretty specific, mostly old style perl. If you want working with Vim and Emacs in XXI century - that's a right spot for you. Atmosphere... is different. Some people are really nice, but lot of obnoxious attitude around as well. Their version of Agile Scrum is so aggressive. May be because you are surrounded by mostly young people who are over competitive (by the nature of the age). I was really relieved when being laid-off in Oct 2017. Another cons - the ESPP is only available after 2 years (even priced by 6-month period).

athenahealth2018-01-30
  1. "Fast paced fun environment always learning"

Current Employee - Project Associate in Belfast, ME

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance, advancement opportunities

Cons

Senior Leadership is "the good ole boys"

athenahealth2020-03-27
  2. "Great Company to work for with a lot of Potential!"

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Austin, TX

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Austin office is one of a kind! Its located at the old Austin Power plant that's been completely modernized and has an amazing futuristic look and feel. In the Austin office, every Monday its Taco day. Company orders free breakfast tacos from Torchy's. There's a large shipment of all different types of snacks every month which is pretty cool. The office is beautiful and the people that work in the Austin office are super nice and laid back. My manager is relatively new to the company as I am as well, but we have a good synergy and it seems like there's a lot of room for growth. When I first got here it seemed like there was a lot of churn in the company because of the leadership changes. However, the new leadership team really does seem like they are doing a good job in focusing on the employees and making a difference in healthcare. Overall, even though I've only been here a couple of months, I love working here. I highly recommend it!

Cons

The infrastructure is a bit legacy but there are large scale projects to get it modernized.

Continue reading
    athenahealth2020-03-17

Discover more reviews about athenahealth.