eBay - "We're Mushrooms," as one person said, "We're basically kept in the dark, and fed crap". | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for eBay

""We're Mushrooms," as one person said, "We're basically kept in the dark, and fed crap"."

Current Employee - Customer Services Representative in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Customer Services Representative in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Pros

- The people you work with are generally really nice and friendly.
- Paid Time Off
- Garunteed 40/week
- Great Customer Service Experience
- Free Gym, Bagel/Fruit/Pastry Day, Free Pop.
- Secured Building

Cons

- Big Brother type of working conditions.
- You are not welcomed when sick, but punished should you take a sick day.
- You're measured on your satisfaction (which includes the company itself). Negative comments means working 10x harder to "average" yourself out.
- You can't admit you work there right now. You feel like you might get yelled at or something.

Advice to Management

To stop the changes just for a moment and hear your people. The Representatives are getting warn out taking all these complaints!!

Other Employee Reviews for eBay

"The dream is long, long gone, folks."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

Two things kept me at eBay - the compensation and benefits (above average) and the fantastic people that I worked with every day. Everyone on each team I worked with was bright, technically saavy, and customer oriented. It's a great place to experience cutting edge software and see how e-commerce works (the good and the very, very bad).

Work there if you want to get some experience and make some money for say, six months. Then move on. Career - not so much.

Cons

Where to start? Even when Meg was CEO management was too far removed from the day to day problems CSRs encountered, and seemed to focus on making the job harder every year. Lower level employees were treated as disposable units despite lip service promoting eBay as a good place to work. Hard to have "work-life balance" when you are kept on a night shift with no chance of going to days, or when you needed to schedule a sick day ahead of time (or be penalized), or when a bathroom break of over 3 minutes is a cause of concern. Yes, all activities were logged by the minute....

And that brings me to metrics. Don't work at eBay if you like to work at your own pace or if you like to show creativity in corresponding with your customers. There are numbers you have to hit every day, and a proscribed way to do it, and it doesn't matter if it is fair or unhelpful to your customers. If your Satisfaction rating sucks because of some new policy that has people upset, sorry, your fault! and you get dinged for it.

The company is run by technocrats who show very little concern for anything but the bottom line, and it has been that way for years. The appointment of John Donahoe is the logical endpoint for a management that sees customer support as a money drain and buyers and sellers as a necessary nuisance. They just aren't pretending any more that the eBay community is some shining experiment in democratic capitalism. Reality bites - welcome to North American business in the 21st century.

Advice to Management

Hey, they make way more than I ever will, and didn't get where they are now listening to low level employees in any of the other companies they managed.The peons all knew that Skype wouldn't fly (we talked to the customers, remember?) , that China was a bust, and that eBay Express was just another way to dilute the brand. But it really doesn't matter what any of us thought, does it - we aren't sitting on millions of dollars in remuneration and stock options.

2. "I'm proud of an ebayer and will be"

Current Employee - Manager in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Manager in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Pros

The salary is fine and have better package than most of other IT companies in China.
    The company always provides career development plan and support to all employees. And will review your performance every quarter. If you get high score you will get chance to be promoted. Generally the company is fair for everyone.
    The working environment is pretty good and the facilities are the same in global, so it's in the top layer in China.

Cons

Currently the global economy is impacting this company, but because of the traditional working model the company's response and action is not as fast as we expected.

Advice to Management

Change the traditional working model to give faster response of the outside environment changing