eBay - Enjoy the People and Culture, Brace yourself for change | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for eBay

"Enjoy the People and Culture, Brace yourself for change"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the company evolution, the opportunities (as long as you have self-initiative), great leadership with a sharp and compelling vision. There is some great talent at eBay to learn from, especially if you are more junior. Leaders are also relatively accessible which is nice.

Cons

Difficult to execute, team consensus culture which prevents accountability, sometimes duplicity in roles. The only thing constant at eBay is change, so you must be ready for and embrace that type of environment.

Advice to Management

More development/career development supporting programs. Initiative owners to drive decisions and make it easier to execute

Other Employee Reviews for eBay

"Software Engineer Intern in Search Science at eBay"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Big, name-brand company in Silicon Valley that is getting smarter about technology, has big vision, and is doing well. The group I worked in had a very laid-back attitude. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Not as strong in technology or research as Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc.

Ironically, the same laid-back group I interned with will turn down a job applicant that has the technical skills if he appears to be laid-back.

"The Draper office doesn't have that much opportunity"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Account Manager in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Account Manager in Draper, UT

I worked at eBay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The health insurance and 401k matching (100% match of up to 25% of your salary with immediate vesting - potentially 50% of your salary value into your 401k every year) was some of the best I've ever seen.

Cons

The cons were very much like any place. Jobs would be filled by people that you may not respect. You think you could do better, but you don't get the job. I went elsewhere and got a better paying job in the same field for which I was rejected at this company. I could complain, but that does happen at other places, right?

It's not a business to business company, so your interactions with "clients" aren't quite as professional as they are with b2b companies. eBay sellers can be a little trashy. One angry women calling in told me that I was nothing, dirt, etc., and that she was very important because she made $65,000 / year. At least she was above the 50th percentile, but she certainly showed that the majority of eBayers aren't the brightest clients. There are some good positions in Draper, but for the most part it's just call center type stuff and those who work in good positions would be working amongst the call center people. Be prepared for some zoo-like bathrooms.

Advice to Management

Being a middle manager is hard, so I don't have any advice for middle management in Draper.

Some of the top-level management in Draper and from San Jose was a bit flighty. Lot's of meetings with lots of buzzwords. I felt like management (excluding the c-level positions) wasn't very intelligent. I could see them better running a retail department at Macy's instead of running a corner of eBay.