eBay - Opportunity abounds. | Glassdoor

"Opportunity abounds."

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA

Pros

eBay Mission,
eBay's scale is untouchable, there is nothing close. Millions of buyers, millions of sellers use the site every day. When you build a product or make a change it impacts millions of people every day.
eBay is the worlds largest ecommerce provider and the opportunity to continue to be a force in ecommerce is still huge.
eBay's team is actually very talented esp. at the mid levels

Cons

eBay is an extremely complex business. The marketplace that looks simple tends to have lots of complexities making it difficult to get things done and sometimes to understand the impact of what you have done.

Advice to Management

Go bigger.

Other Employee Reviews for eBay

"eBay needs a turnaround"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

eBay has a great name, and is still well respected by other companies in terms of experience. The brand and network go a long way. The culture is also really supportive of work-life balance and very family friendly. People in general are friendly, smart and capable, but unfortunately we face other challenges (see below). Also, I really love where eBay came from and our mission statement, though we've strayed from our roots.

Cons

Way too much change in direction, lack of alignment on priorities causes high churn and turnover. Also a lot of politics, with different parts of the company trying to achieve different objectives.

Advice to Management

We need a clearer strategy. Glad that we're investing more in technology. Stop trying to be Amazon.

"eBay needs to seriously turnaround or it will sink."

Former Employee - PR Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - PR Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

The people, the culture, the food, the celebrations. It's a fun place at the beginning but the company doesn't care about career advancement so people move after a while. Lots of politics so that is not good, especially tough times like these. Customers are genuinely trying to help the company but upper management doesn't listen to their advice. And the whole NPR crap score doesn't do much to help us.

Cons

upper management is lost, always talking about amazon, copying amazon, can't find the right Turnaround formula to actually turnaround, desperate to be at the top again.

Advice to Management

Get rid of them all, hire from Amazon, Google and people who actually understand ecommerce, not folks who came from consulting and never used the product.