eBay - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II
Current Employee - Software Engineer II

I have been working at eBay full-time

Pros

great opportunity, nice people, fun job

Cons

your office is not big enough

Other Employee Reviews for eBay

"Maybe we can cram a few more desks in here somewhere.."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT

I worked at eBay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager and (most of my) colleagues were professionals, and it was a pleasure to work with them.
    Great benefits.
    Good work life balance. My manager was fine with me working from 6-8 at home, and then from 9-4 at the office.

Cons

Physical environment was awful for software development.

Salary was not competitive, even when compared to those performing similar work in the company.

I got decent performance bonuses, however I object to distribution "on a curve", where managers essentially have to duke it out so their reports can get decent bonuses. This ingrains a belief that you can't have a team where multiple people are performing at "exceeds expectations"-- which isn't true.

Advice to Management

The millions of dollars that were spent constructing the new Draper facility will be dwarfed by the millions of dollars in lost productivity over the life of the building. You really should have built in some quiet areas (offices) where people doing thought-work could concentrate.

I left for a 50% salary increase; I didn't feel I could accept eBay's offers to match it because I didn't feel I would be able to deliver 50% more in the environment I was asked to work.

"A lot of Smart People Doing the Same Job in different channels"

Former Employee - Development Manager in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Development Manager in Draper, UT

I worked at eBay full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bagels, Pop, People, Benefits, Anti Religion and Pro Gay

Cons

A company that has too much money and wins despite itself. Sad to see eBay make so much money when they have no clue what their customers really want. We have so many people working on the same things that its just chaos half the time. If you know how to do a good Powerpoint you can live the dream job. If you know politics even better and make sure you are a yes sir person

Advice to Management

Focus more on Technology in CS. Duplication and tools are mediocre. Several People in Management need to go. Mostly in the Manager/Director level at CS. Water cooler gang that keeps control and doesn't focus on real customer issues as long as they look good and get credit for nonsense.