eBay - Severe lack of timely decision making by Executives | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for eBay

"Severe lack of timely decision making by Executives"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with many highly intelligent and talented engineers, good benefits and extras, nice fitness centers and cafeterias. Wide cultural variety without discrimination.

Cons

Responsibility is handed out to everyone, however authority is tightly held by Executives so the stress level is high. Re-Orgs occur at least once a year, sometimes twice in less than 12 months. Severe crowding in many buildings. Instead of offices or cubes the company is going to high-school cafeteria style tables with too many people crammed together.

Advice to Management

Your lack of senior management alignment and lack of timely decision making is damaging the company.

Other Employee Reviews for eBay

"Excellent company overall - poor leadership in department"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT

I worked at eBay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Excellent company with high values. Believes in doing the right thing and shows employees they care in many different ways from benefits, to pay, to quarterly bonuses, to high achievement bonuses, to great amenities on campus.

*Amenities include unlimited free soda, gym, cafe, Starbucks gift shop, basketball courts, tennis court, shipping centers with free shipping supplies, sell your item stations where you can use an ipad, mannequin and backdrops to take quality photos for your ebay listings.

Cons

* Its a call center, which means back to back to back calls, which is not for everyone. A lot of calls require action and project time, which leadership looks down on anytime spent off calls but you're also graded on resolution.

* Leadership in my department was not good at all, they were very negative reinforcement and weren't there to work with your or help you.

* Nobody will help you with your development, you have to take charge of it on your own. (which could be a good or bad thing)

* Lots of contradictions such as company believes "People are generally good" but department leadership believes "everyone is up to no good". Company invests a lot of time and money on each employee's training, they would rather correct poor behavior than lay off and start over, but when it actually came down to it, all team leads were letting go one (or more) person(s) from their team regardless if they have had sufficient warning.

* Big corporation claims to value each employee but when it comes down to it they really don't and everyone is replaceable.

* I was let go for "excessive time offline" but my shrink, the number that gauges the time spent offline was within an acceptable range and all offline time was legitimate time spent for customers, and I received no warnings for it so I had no idea it was unsatisfactory, until it was too late.

* There are opportunities for advancement but hundreds of employees are competing with each other for those opportunities which actually makes advancement very hard to do. A lot of lateral movement between departments but very difficult to move up.

* Recently they starting using "sports" terms for performance, you're either winning or losing, and for those people who aren't quite hitting their metrics, hearing that you are a loser isn't exactly a motivator, it is actually the opposite. (I think I already mentioned negative reinforcement)

Advice to Management

1. Don't say one thing and then make a business decision to do exactly the opposite of what you believe.

2. Rethink the way your team leaders lead, its very down putting and not just for me, but everyone I talk to feel very unmotivated when they speak to their team leader. The coach is a good balance because they are uplifting and motivational but not quite enough to balance out the team lead. Its a lot like being sent to the principal's office in school, talking to your team lead is never a good thing, even if you are doing well because they always pinpoint what is not good or what needs to be better and they don't recognize anything good. They also all have their own system (not just styles), my last team lead was a micro-manager and he spent a big majority of his time looking over shoulders and digging to catch people doing things they aren't supposed to be doing. (he actually had a 15 minute huddle with our team to tell us that he is good at "catching" things and that he will catch us, its only a matter of time) Coming from a strong management background, he was everything a manger shouldn't be.

"Senior Product Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Campbell, CA

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Open work culture, Great benefits, Compensation is very competitive
    Would recommend the company for learning eCommerce and how to work in a matrix organization
    Lots of growth opportunities and avenues of growth

Cons

Everyone has a different and non-additive agenda
    Need to be political to succeed at work
    Matrix organization, so setting goals are not shared
    Rather than being creative & customer centric, financial results alone measures product decisions

Advice to Management

Set a vision and the company will come together as a glue to contribute towards that vision