eBay - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Draper, UT
Current Employee - Manager in Draper, UT

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities in many sectors due to eBay's size. They've committed a lot to the infrastructure to this site so you know they will be here a long time. Executives have committed time and money to development of the people.

Cons

Forced rankings for employees. While not a huge issue, I also don't think it encourages the right behaviors.

Advice to Management

I would love to hear how our benefits have improved instead of hearing how we're competing in the marketplace so we're decreasing benefits.

Other Employee Reviews for eBay

1. "Awesome!!"

Current Intern - Intern-MBA in San Jose, CA
    Current Intern - Intern-MBA in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Helpful.Steep Learning curve.Excellent networking opportunities.

Cons

I dont have any cons to put over here.

"Sometimes the best, sometimes the worst"

Current Employee - Director, Software Development in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Software Development in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, a lot of great people, some interesting and challenging projects on the cutting edge of technology.
    The company provides a lot of training and free access to a lot of valuable resources for personal and professional growth for both the technologists and managers. There's a lot of opportunities to grow in the company or make a lateral shift by moving to other team or project.

Cons

eBay has heavily overloaded and complex hierarchical structure with multiple tiers of management. It might be interesting for people who want to grow in management ranks. But it's definitely not the right culture for majority of start-up folks which are acquired by eBay year over year.
    If you need a real-life application of Parkinson's law on bureaucracies that multiply themselves - this is a place to come and see it. Self-sustained manager cohort grows, projects could be turned down the "next day" they started, the same thing could worked on by multiple independent teams in different departments, rewards are often given to unrelated but favored managers and people in front lines in the actual teams who do the work are ignored - all of this can be found here.

Advice to Management

I wish the leadership team initiatives started in the couple of last year come true one day, and the currently "rather good" company becomes a great and enduring company. I believe this is the right thing to do, yet there's still a long road to go.