eBay - tremendous opportunities, if only we would get our heads on straight and choose a visionary plan and leadership | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for eBay

"tremendous opportunities, if only we would get our heads on straight and choose a visionary plan and leadership"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

For better or worse, eBay is a large company. Even if you start at eBay doing one job, there's tremendous opportunity to more around the company if you are apt and willing. eBay also attacks problems of tremendous scale, unmatched anywhere on the web. How we handle them is sometimes questionable, but there's no doubt that we are the biggest game in town.

Cons

Management is schizophrenic and quarter-driven. Even when we were promised that we were NOT going to be quarter driven, we still see a highly detrimental focus on making the projection for Wall St.

Internally, everything not aligned with the current soup du 'jour is likely to be canceled, paused, downsized or outright ignored. Also there are far too many doers and not enough thinkers hired here. This company is run by people who "have ideas", whether they are well-planned or not.

Advice to Management

Settle down. STOP focusing on the near term. Chill out, plan ahead and start treating this company like it's going to be around for 100 years. If you don't treat it that way, then it won't be. If you keep treating it like it will only be around another 3 to 5 years, then Wall St. will assume that too.

Other Employee Reviews for eBay

"If you're bright, passionate, and energetic, you'll eventually become drained and resent everything you ever worked for."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

You'll be surrounded by some of the brightest people in this industry.

Cons

Hard work and brains don't get you promoted.

Advice to Management

#1 - We need more worker bees and less chiefs. #2 - Have a solid long-term plan instead of chasing our competitors. #3 - Recognize and reward your hard working employees.

"stuck in "turnaround" hell -- we'll see how it all shakes out. a lot (too much) change going on right now"

Current Employee - Senior Category Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Category Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

great brand name, real impact on people's lives, removing inefficiencies from marketplaces - its nice to work for a company that is universally known (but sometimes passionately hated as well)

Cons

way too much bureaucracy - too much "its not on my list", and this year, a lot of fear around layoffs and constrained resources. product changes are slow. existing processes are inflexible. the company has carved work into so many little pieces that its hard to find any ownership. too many ex-consultants and ex-bankers in leadership - we need more operating expertise to run a company. much too focused on powerpoint decks instead of real bold action and experience.

Advice to Management

stop changing things - its makes everyone dizzy! buyers, sellers, employees, etc, are just trying to earn a living and do good work. you make it really hard when policies, resources, fees, headcount keep changing.