hhgregg - Great salesman, horrible upper management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg

"Great salesman, horrible upper management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Whitehall, PA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Whitehall, PA

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers. Experienced and always helpful.
Decent pay for an entry level job.
I've learned alot, mostly self taught.
It feels good to make a big sale or to help someone in a positive way.
TV's and phones make good money.

Cons

Abysmal customer base. 3/4 of the day is spent standing around praying for a sale.
Pay is strictly commission, and when people want price matches you either take it for scraps or make nothing.
Ridiculous push on Verizon when nobody but the actual Verizon staff knows remotely what they're talking about. No one knows how to use the system and no (Zero.) internal Verizon management. It's pretty much free game until a verizon rep comes in. It feels like more of an afterthought for how much the service is pushed.
PSP and accessories are top priority to managers. PSP (offered by Warrantech) is one of the worst services I've seen. I feel uncomfortable offering it, but it's the only choice. And cases and such make you little money, but it helps.
Employees get treated like dirt by upper management, and managers get constantly berated by RM's and corporate.
Draw is ridiculous for a company with such little foot traffic.
Managers play favorites, and even if you're a good salesman good luck getting anything out of them.
Sales are the same cheap merchandise , stuff that comes back in the same week on a regular basis.
Return policy needs fixing. Customers buy laptops and cameras for no other reason than to rent them.
The ability to change prices has formed an attitude that customers can get money off of products for no reason and then don't want to buy any services or other products. It feels like I often play let's make a deal with some customers who want 100-300 dollars off of an item we make $20 off of.

Advice to Management

Management needs to get it together, as well as their advertising department. I see this company lasting 2-3 years at most unless they stop screwing over their workers and expanding without fixing the core system.

Other Employee Reviews for hhgregg

"If you can take the flip flopping"

Current Employee - Home Theater Sales in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Home Theater Sales in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make money if the customers come in but lately not a whole lot there. You can move up if you can take the hours.

Cons

Your life/work balance is not there all there way. Management tends to play favorites. They want you to sell a product but not train you on it. To learn how to do it (activate a cellphone) you must split the sale with another employee that knows how to do it. So in other words you must pay someone to to sell the product.

"Awful Managment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Towson, MD

I worked at hhgregg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commission means you can make your own salary.

Cons

No customers
    Employees argue in front on customers
    Managers do nothing about it