hhgregg - Unfair work practices | Glassdoor

"Unfair work practices"

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Home Theater Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at hhgregg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were experienced and knowledgeable.

Cons

Poor Management
Awful employee pay model
Long hours punctuated by free(to hhgregg) labor

The company is commission based only, despite up to 12 hours weekly you must be dedicated to improving the store, with no compensation. Utterly ridiculous. 2 hours before store opens to set up the place up. (no customers so no pay), 2 hours post close to clean the place (no
customers no pay) multiply this by 3 or 4 times a week, and you are donating 12 hours+, rarely less to HHgregg for free. I have a family to feed, can't donate 12 hours of my time so store is pretty and equipment is ready for sale. No problem working the 60 hours a week, but not when 12 hours of it are a donation. Utterly absurd pay model. Commissions are non-existent unless you sell a very poorly reviewed, service plan, that eventually comes back and haunts you in the form of dissatisfied customers. Delivery handled by outside agent who either messes up the shipment, or because they are so ill handled, just botch things up. Never enough staff in warehouse, you end up having to get your own product from the back and waste more of your un-payed time. Almost all of the experienced staff left within the first 4 months of employment. Replaced by inexperienced job seekers willing to take any abuse doled out. Pay model favors the company completely, with their goal to get as much free from their employees as possible.

Advice to Management

If your plan is to work employees for no pay, then I have no advice, because all benefits are to the firm, with none to employee. On the other hand if you want loyal hard working employee base, change the pay model

Other Employee Reviews for hhgregg

"WORST JOB I'VE EVER HAD"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount which is "Landed Cost". And your co-workers, who are like family, although everyone is looking for a new career....

Cons

I've have over 20 years of retail management and sales expericance, and hhgregg by for is the absolute worst company I've worked for. As a sales associate you will work a min of 45+ hours / week, and if your lucky get 4 ups a day. Management is not consistent they are all bark but no bite. The culture in the store is horrible, no one wants to work there, and this all stems from the store general manager. He still has yet to realize the stores negativity all comes from him.

Hhgregg Downers Grove is currently hiring.... But I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Don't work sales people 45+ hours/week (during the holidays this is fine, but not during the summer).

"Great salesman, horrible upper management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Whitehall, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Whitehall, PA

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers. Experienced and always helpful.
    Decent pay for an entry level job.
    I've learned alot, mostly self taught.
    It feels good to make a big sale or to help someone in a positive way.
    TV's and phones make good money.

Cons

Abysmal customer base. 3/4 of the day is spent standing around praying for a sale.
    Pay is strictly commission, and when people want price matches you either take it for scraps or make nothing.
    Ridiculous push on Verizon when nobody but the actual Verizon staff knows remotely what they're talking about. No one knows how to use the system and no (Zero.) internal Verizon management. It's pretty much free game until a verizon rep comes in. It feels like more of an afterthought for how much the service is pushed.
    PSP and accessories are top priority to managers. PSP (offered by Warrantech) is one of the worst services I've seen. I feel uncomfortable offering it, but it's the only choice. And cases and such make you little money, but it helps.
    Employees get treated like dirt by upper management, and managers get constantly berated by RM's and corporate.
    Draw is ridiculous for a company with such little foot traffic.
    Managers play favorites, and even if you're a good salesman good luck getting anything out of them.
    Sales are the same cheap merchandise , stuff that comes back in the same week on a regular basis.
    Return policy needs fixing. Customers buy laptops and cameras for no other reason than to rent them.
    The ability to change prices has formed an attitude that customers can get money off of products for no reason and then don't want to buy any services or other products. It feels like I often play let's make a deal with some customers who want 100-300 dollars off of an item we make $20 off of.

Advice to Management

Management needs to get it together, as well as their advertising department. I see this company lasting 2-3 years at most unless they stop screwing over their workers and expanding without fixing the core system.