hhgregg - Hard workers skipped over | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg

"Hard workers skipped over"

Current Employee - Warehouse Lead in Aurora, IL
Current Employee - Warehouse Lead in Aurora, IL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount program is great.

Cons

The company propaganda states hhgregg loves to promote from within and they support employees. This is not true. I was passed over for a promotion because I was too valuable in the job I currently perform. I have been with the company for 16 months and it is rare to be able to work a full 40 hour week, even after all this time. Management keeps saying to hold on and it will get better. How long does a person have to wait? The benefits are horribly expensive. I am unable to insure my family and still have any take home pay. The turnover of warehouse staff is unbelievably high. There is no desire by management to actively try to keep current employees. The attitude of don't let the door hit you is horrible. My manager leaves early every day because he doesn't want to be there and there is no accountability for his spotty attendance. He constantly changes his schedule on a whim because something came up at home and leaves others to do his work and pick up the slack. He makes the schedule and always schedules himself off every Friday and Saturday night along with every holiday. Every other manager, supervisor, and lead has to use a formal request process to have any hope of getting a weekend off. Any hourly employees leaving early, arriving late, or missing even one day of work due to illness or emergency is an automatic detriment to your employee record. The double standard wears thin pretty quickly and causes resentment among the management staff and other employees.

Advice to Management

Stick by your mission statement and promote good employees. You will just end up losing employees if you don't take care of them.

Other Employee Reviews for hhgregg

1. "Hhgregg general manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many opportunities for career advancement

Cons

Long hours and hard work.

Advice to Management

Don't pinch pennies with customer service and labor.

"It's a job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at hhgregg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want full time employment it's there for the taking, and benefits kick in very quickly. Management helps out a lot with sales and has tremendous floor presence. Customers were treated very well. Commission structure is nice. It's better than a lot of comparable retail environments.

Cons

Hours are entirely awful, especially in the middle of the summer. Most of the day is spent standing around waiting to have a customer to help (in other words - most of the day you do absolutely nothing, which means you aren't making any money). Way, way too much of your salary completely depends on PSP/Extended Warranty sales - make no mistake, if you choose to work here and you aren't very good at selling snake oil, er, PSP, you will be taking home near minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Slow down with your expansion, and keep to your older philosophies that worked and allowed you to get as big as you are. If you want to kill Sears, don't try to be like them.